Full Abdominoplasty vs Umbilical Float? (photos)

Am I the right candidate for an Umbilical Float Abdominoplasty? I've received mixed advice from surgeons: some suggested full, while some others felt my belly button was high and could be lowered with a float. Considering my main concerns are: removing bloat, skin laxity below the belly button, and fixing frowning of the belly button -- what should I go for? If a float yields results I'm not happy with, what would my options be?

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Full Abdominoplasty vs Umbilical Float?

Based on the photos, I think you could achieve a very nice result with an umbilical float. You can still have muscle tightening, liposuction and removal of excess skin without a scar around your belly button. Good luck!

Umbilical Float in Tummy Tuck

I would agree that you are in a range that could be treated either way.   If the umbilicus is floated there is less ability to correct the frown of the belly button, although there is the advantage of no scar around the belly button. Bloating can be corrected equally either way by pulling in the muscles. Skin laxity below the belly button would be well treated either way, but a full tummy tuck would result in greater tightening above the belly button. If you have a float and you are unhappy, it is not difficult to, at a later date, convert to a full abdominoplasty.

Float BB or regular TT

The main issue on your abdomen is the protruding look, as the result of your loose muscle, so the key to achieve a wonderful result will be the Muscle Repair, which I predict may be close to 5-6 inches.  

I certainly do not like how the Floating BB looks, because it becomes obviously low and in my opinion looks weird. 

So I rather prefer to let a 2 cm vertical scar in between the new navel and the incision (right on top of you pubic area) which will be like scratch instead of a "fake" positioned BB.

I totally believe you will be looking awesome after the Tummy Tuck and Muscle repair. Your skin is wonderful by the way.

Dr. Cardenas

Pictures can deceive

Right now i'm leaning more for a umbilical float, but this could change after you are evaluated in person. Trust your surgeon, he/she should know what will be the best for you after that evaluation, but definitely you need muscle repair, so it have to be one of this options. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck options

I am not a fan of the umbilical float .  A full abdominoplasty is the best procedure for  maximizing  the shape of the abdomen and improving the belly button appearance.. However, you may require a small vertical scar  at the lower aspect of you belly if the original bellybutton incision cannot be  removed. This is preferable, in my opinion, than compromising  on the shape..  

Another option is a miniabdominoplasty.  By this I mean  removing a small ellipse of skin down by the  underwear margin in conjunction with liposuction of  the entire abdomen. Because there is no skin undermining, the belly button stays in its original place. This  is a great option if you do not have a significant diastasis of you muscles and the majority of your  skin excess is below the belly button. This technique combines the  benefits of reducing the fat thickness of your skin while safely removing some skin to prevent loose folds.

I recommend suggesting this potential option to the surgeon  you are comfortable with, to see if it is a good option for you. 

Best regards, Prashant Soni, M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs mini

A full tummy tuck is best if you are concerned about tightening the muscles above and below the umbilicus and want to treat loose skin above and below.  I am not a fan of floating the umbilicus because often work above the umbilicus is required, and the umbilicus in my opinion is usually placed too low.  This also may restrict what you can do if you decide you want a full tummy tuck in the future.

Umbillical Float?

Than you for submitting this question and the associated pictures.  There are generally two concerns regarding performing an umbilical 'float'.  The first is how much lower will the umbilicus ultimately be, and will there be problems with the umbilical blood supply if there is a reason to operate on it in the future.  My review of your pictures suggests that if an umbilical float is performed, your belly button will probably be a lot lower than it is now, and would likely lead to dissatisfaction on your part. Revising a belly button that is too low is almost impossible, although sometimes a 'reverse abdominoplasty' can help, but that would require scars beneath both breasts and even that may not correct the situation completely.  The alternative, a full abdominoplasty, will leave you with a short, vertical midline scar somewhere between your belly button and the horizontal tummy tuck scar. In my experience that scar usually fades well and becomes fairly inconspicuous, and is much less obvious than a belly button that is too low after a float.  Good luck, whichever choice you make be sure to discuss all of your concerns with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon