What has caused my open wound after breast reduction? (photo)

I am 5 weeks post op and am struggling with a complication. I don't know the cause...my surgeon doesn't talk much. It's similar to having a deep, 3rd degree burn I'm seeing a wound specialist now, but the pain is unbearable at times. The surgeon doesn't like giving pain meds and makes me feel terrible for asking:( Mostly, I just want to know tha cause...and what I can do to help it heal. I'm starting hyperbaric this week... (I do keep "spitting" white plastic staples)

Lipo-lift, breast lift, breast reduction, mastopexy, benelli, augmentation mastopexy

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. It works very well if there are asymmetries. I can also use the removed fat as a natural breast augmentation by grafting the fat back into the breast to create more projection or into the top to create more cleavage. This procedure can also be combined with an implant if needed or wanted.  It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast-feeding. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same.

Skin necrosis can happen but will heal with wound care.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.  

Dr. Schwartz 

#RealSelf100Surgeon 

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast reduction

I am sorry to hear about your complication and that you are struggling. If your PS is not communicating with you appropriately I would ask him/her for a second opinion. This wound will require time and dressings and a lot of regular care. You should never feel terrible for asking for anything and you need help and support at this time. This wound will heal and the stitch spitting will begin to stop.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon