What are the risks of revision rhinoplasty to widen tip?

I want to get a revision to widen one side of my tip because the supratip is wider than the tip and it looks slightly hooked, only one side of the tip though. The other side looks sloped and nice. How could my tip be widened and defined on one side, and is it very difficult to do? How risky is it to get a revision for this? I dont want my tip to drop even slightly as it was lifted during my last surgery.

Rhinoplasty Risks

Thank you for your question. Fortunately, significant complications from rhinoplasty are infrequent. Every year, many thousands of people have their noses reshaped, experience no major problems and are pleased with the results. Anyone considering surgery, however, should be aware of both the benefits and risks. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Careful, artful analysis and planning are the key to success in rhinoplasty

Subtle asymmetries can be difficult to correct, and there may be more than one approach to correction. In your case, a spreader graft (a rectangular piece of your own cartilage placed between the nasal septum and the upper lateral cartilage, which forms the sidewall of the nose) can be placed to widen the mid-vault, the area just above the tip. A small tip graft can also be used to camoflauge asymmetry of the tip. The more conservative the revision is, the more subtle the change, but the less the risk aesthetically of having too much change. Revisions are more likely to need further revision than primary surgery. Discuss these issues thoroughly with your board certified plastic surgeon. 

Good luck. Thanks for your question. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

Revision rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform in all of cosmetic surgery, so a full set of photographs in addition to an in-person examination required to make a determination about what specific techniques are required  to alter the asymmetrical tip.   Asymmetrical cartilage removal, cartilage grafting techniques, and suture techniques are all used in order to adjust the nasal tip more narrow or wider and  address asymmetries

Correctig tip assymetry

Depending on the condition the tip asymmetry could be corrected through a closed technique and even under local anesthesia with minimal risk and minimal recovery. Even small amount of filler could be used to accomplish this goal. However, the improvement would be temporary.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon