Can my nose be deprojected? (Photo)

Is it possible to decrease the size of my nose enough to make it proportionate to my face while still looking natural? What questions should I be asking a surgeon?

Deprojecting the Nose

Virtually any nose can be deprojected. Deprojecting the nose involves a number of well known surgical modifications that effectively reduce the support and forward projection of the nasal tip cartilages.  However, a good outcome depends on many small details requiring careful planning, analysis and surgical judgment.  Find an experienced rhinoplasty specialist that can articulate a plan to reduce nasal projection while balancing the size, shape, and profile of the nose with your other facial features. Best wishes.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose be deprojected?

It is possible to deproject the nose during rhinoplasty surgery while maintaining a natural appearance. In general, a good rhinoplasty surgeon will take the entire face into consideration when performing rhinoplasty, and tailor the surgery to the individual. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will evaluate your nose in person and advise you on what would help you obtain the best result. Computer imaging software may be used to morph a photo of you, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. When looking for a surgeon, it is important to consider the following:

1) Credentials
2) Experience performing rhinoplasty
3) Before and after photos showcasing the surgeon's work
4) Great patient testimonials

I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

You can deproject the nose during rhinoplasty but only to a certain degree.  The skin will only contract so much.   Sometimes ancillary procedures may be necessary to further balance the face such as chin advancement.  Unable to determine whether this is needed in your case by your photo.  Find a surgeon who does frequent rhinoplasty for the best result.  Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Nose deprojection

There are several ways to deprojection nasal tip. Depending on the degree of deprojection, the profile may have to be shaved to provide balance. In all likelihood the tip cartilages will have to be shortened in their length - an intervention technically called vertical lobular division. Precisely how you do it depends on the clinical effect you want. In your case a little length in the columella would also be beneficial to help reduce the retraction in that area and add long term support. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are a number or techniques to make a nose smaller, or de-project it and still look natural

It's very important to still look natural after rhinoplasty. There are a number of techniques we use to reduce tip projection as well as overall nasal size. I like to use and teach my fellows and residents an algorithm for increasing complexity of surgery depending on the amount of nasal deformity. However, even complex surgery can still look natural. 

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Deprojecting a prominent nose

The length of your nose can absolutely be reduced or deprojected.  An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to appropriately reduce the length of your nose so that your nose matches your other facial features.  Two maneuvers that are used in deprojection are the Lipsett maneuver, and lateral crural flaps.  Each of these techniques provide changes which will reduce the length of the nose and adjust the angles appropriately.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deprojecting the nasal tip

You are correct in your analysis that your tip needs to be less projecting. There are several different maneuvers that can be done to accomplish this. The important thing is to create balance.  It appears from your picture that you would also benefit from a radix graft, in other words building up the bridge.  Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose be deprojected?

The size and excess projection of your nose that you would like improved can be addressed with a  natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an expert artistic plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, california

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to fit face

I think that a balanced rhinoplasty is the key for all rhinoplasty surgery. It is best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Decreasing Nasal Tip Projection

Nasal tip projection can be decreased while achieving a natural result. An experienced surgeon will describe alternative techniques during consultation.