I am 10 weeks from Breast Augmentation surgery. When can I submerge my breasts in hot tub or go to spa pools with thermal water?

Is there any danger if submerge my breasts into water of 38 degrees? Also i would like to thank all doctors for replies on my previous question, unfortunately i couldnt ask my doctor because he replies me only on two questions quickly and thats it,because he is very very busy , so i am taking care about myself a lot especially in gym, i am not lifting so heavy yet,although my recovery went fantastic, i am waiting my scars to recover completly too, they look ok only little redish at this point

Ok to submerge after surgery at 10 weeks

Congratulations on your surgery. At 10 weeks, if your incisions have healed well from the beginning and there has never been an issue with wound separation, you should be fine. It's unfortunate that you are unable to communicate with your surgeon. None of us are that busy that we can't answer our patient's questions. Best of Luck!

Ok to Submerge under water

Thanks for your question. If you don't have open areas on your incisions, it's absolutely ok to submerge your breasts. 

I'm sorry you felt rushed with your surgeon. You have EVERY right to ask your questions. No surgeon should be "very very busy" not to answer ALL of their patients' questions. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

In water after surgery

Thank you for your question. In general 4-5 weeks is good enough provided no issues with haling. Please check with your Surgeon as he/she knows your healing.

Yes

If everything has healed well after your breast augmentation surgery, my patients can submerge themselves in water after 4 weeks.

I would talk to your surgeon.  He should never be too busy to answer all your questions.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Hot water

Your wounds must be completely closed and totally resurfaced with intact skin before you should go into water such as hot tubs or spas.  If they are open in any way, even from suture marks, you run the risk of water-born infection which can be difficult to treat.  If you are not sure, wait longer or return to your plastic surgeon for a discussion.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Thank you for your question. I like to say about 6 weeks. As long as all the incisions are closed up and healed nicely there should be no problem. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Post BBA

Hi and thanks for the question. It sounds like you are recovering well. As long as your incisions are healed you should be fine to get into a hot tub. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

BA post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Incision Care

Once the incisions have healed completely, I have no restrictions for my patients related to swimming or hot tubs. Typically this would be 2-3 weeks post op so you should be fine to be in hot tubs at this point. I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon if you have any concerns.

All the best

Bath/Hot tub after breast augmentation.

Typically an incision takes about two weeks to heal. An incision that is healed has no open areas, no drainage or discharge, no scabs, and does not require a bandage.  Occasionally there are factors that mayslow down this process - wound dehiscence, smoking, diabetes etc.  The concern with submerging your breasts before the incision is completely closed is that any bacteria that are in the water may enter through the incision causing infection.  The temperature of the water shouldn't be a concern.  While it would obviously be best if you were able to check with your surgeon, I would imagine that by 10 weeks you are definitely safe to submerge!  Red scars at 10 weeks is totally normal, btw.  Scars usually peak in redness at about 12 weeks and then continue to improve for 12-18 months.  Good luck!