It's been 3 weeks since I had my tummy tuck and I still can't stand up straight?

3 weeks post op Tummy Tuck with liposuction of abs and flanks and still can't stand up straight. Should I be concerned ?

Than best to ask your chose operative surgeon about this serious issue! Over the internet can not offer you any idea since we do not know exactly the operation details...

Tummy Tuck Recovery

Standing up after a tummy tuck may be a bit challenging especially if your PS did a muscle repair during the tummy tuck. Do not feel discouraged, each day should get much easier!

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

3 weeks since I had my tummy tuck and I still can't stand up straight

Hi, SamanthaMCC

Three weeks out from your tummy tuck is not out of the ordinary for not being able to yet stand up straight.

It is pretty amazing how different every body is, and the differences in recovery.  There are many factors that may contribute to when you will be able to stand straight -- how stretchy your skin is in general, and how stretchy the upper abdominal skin is more specifically; whether the muscles were repaired, and if so, how much inflammation is within the muscles; whether liposuciton was done or not or whereto other procedures were done; how much effort you have put into gradually stretching, moving, massaging, etc.  

I find that my skinnier girls, as well as the younger girls, tend to take much longer.  I have some patients that stand fairly straight right out of surgery when they are ambulating to the bathroom, and others take a couple of months.  Typically, my average patients find that they are able to start standing straighter after one week and are standing much straighter by the second or third week. 

I would follow-up with your surgeon to verify what restrictions you have based on your tissue characteristics, the procedure performed, and your recovery course, and whether you can safely start trying to more actively stretch, perform massage and/or heating pad, etc.

Good luck to you, and I hope you are otherwise enjoying your tummy tuck!

Giovanna Ghafoori, MD
Harlingen Plastic Surgeon

It's been 3 weeks since I had my TT and I still can't stand up straight?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery difficulties.  Though some patients may have a prolonged hunched-over appearance after a tummy tuck they normally see steady improvement in how far they can stand upright over that period of time.  If you have not, best to see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation so that they can provide you reassurance.  Hope this helps.