Muscle is gone and chest is indented; how long until I see my chest muscle return?

had liposuction and the breast tissue removed 2 days ago.. and my chest look like a botched experiment. I removed the garment just to shower. How long to I see my chest muscle return and it looks better

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Lipo of chest

You are likely very swollen. It will take 6-8 weeks for the majority of the swelling to subside. Best of luck.

S/p gynecomastia surgery

Things can look swollen, bruised and asymmetric in the beginning but typically gets better over time. Follow up with your operating surgeon so that they may evaluate you and walk you through the recovery process.

Male gynecomastia surgery

It really depends on the nature or type of surgery you had. Most board certified plastic surgeons are not removing any muscle when they do a gynecomastia surgery but instead are removing excess skin and breast tissue. The contour 2 days after surgery is unlikely to be be what you will have long term and a compression garment can help with swelling and contouring. Discussing and following up with your board certified plastic surgeon is important. Best, TMM

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your surgery.  What you are likely seeing in your current results is significant, and asymmetric, swelling.  You can help minimize this by wearing a compression vest while waiting for your results to mature.  Much of your swelling will resolve over the first 6-8 weeks of recovery, so hang in there!