Mommy makeover: ways to help alleviate discomfort on my lower back and bottom from all the bruising and swelling? (photos)

I had a mommy makeover one week ago. I understand healing is best when reclined but my lower back and bottom are swelling and getting so bruised. It's become very hard to find a comfortable way to sit. Any suggestions on helping alleviate this discomfort?

Discomfort 1 Week Post Mommy Makeover

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 

Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #asymmetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy makeover recovery

At one week you should be able to be up and moving around a bit more which will alleviate some of your discomfort.  You can also try pillows to change pressure points.  Speak with your surgeon for other advice since he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Mommy make-over - more comfortable recovery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• If you were my patient, I would want you to be up and moving around a lot at this point and out of a recliner.
  • Every surgeon does things differently so I strongly suggest that you contact your surgeon for advice on what you should be doing to be comfortable.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD