Is it possible for me to get a transplant? ZERO balding, just thin hair. (photos)

Hello, I am 23 and asian, and I was wondering if I am a candidate for a hair transplant. I have no balding, and no one in my family has any hair loss. The only issue is my hair is very thin so it shows my scalp, especially in light. Likewise, the hair on my sides is very thin, so it would show scarring. What would be the best route to minimize scarring (FUE?). Pictures attached to give you an idea. I appreciate your response!!

Coverage Value is the key.

Even thinning may be a step towards hair loss if the remaining hair is losing density per square centimeter. The main point is to evaluate the cosmetic impact as it is related to the Coverage Value Index that I presented to to my colleagues in 2015. It relates to the caliber of the hair and the hair per square centimeter. Using this calculation, if your Coverage Value is less than 6, your overall appearance may be unsatisfactory for you.

If the hair caliber of your thinning area is less than than your original hair caliber, we can identify this process as miniaturization because the problem is not the number of follicles per square centimeter. In these cases, finasteride may help more than hair transplantation. This because hair transplantation may activate some hair loss.

Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are not "balding" you are not generally a candidate for surgery. Thinning hair is not a reason to have surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is it possible to get a transplant for ZERO balding, just thin hair

I don't think that you are a candidate for HT .If you try to increase the number of hair to get a denser appearance result would be disaster for any any technique you choose: either  you lost some bulk of hair because of trauma on your scalp or you would have no density difference (just time and money wasting).Thin hair is your genetic character just like your eye color and you cant change that .

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Fue if not balding

You can transplant grafts to increase your density and hence reduce the amount of scalp you see.  Hair transplantation is only a tool to populate areas with hair producing cells.  If you naturally have very fine hair or low density,  you can use hair transplantation to increase the coverage. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Density Reinforcement

First it is important to look at the history of your miniaturization.  If this is something that you have always had, and you do not have generalized miniaturizing pattern that would make your donor region less suitable for restoration, then you would have some options. 

If there has been a slow progression to miniaturization, medications and preventative measures could make a difference. 

If you have a donor region that is suitable for restoration, then absolutley you can use folliciels to reinforce densitites.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Thank you for your question. You may be a potential candidate for NeoGraft FUE Transplant. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for a diagnosis.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a hair transplant candidate?

First, I would recommend that you come into our Los Angeles office to get your hair bulk measured (first visit has not charge) with an instrument called HAIRCHECK. This will confirm one way or the other if you are balding so what we are seeing from the top view of your photos, is or is not early thinning. Once a diagnosis is made, we can discuss options to deal with your problem.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon