Realistically how many syringes of Voluma would be needed for a good correction on a patient with a very thin face?

I've had a total of five syringes over three weeks and would honestly say I've gotten about 50% correction. I simply have a very very thin face, couple this with the fact that I'm thin all over and it's not a good look. Is there a maximum amount of filler that can be used?

Voluma Injections for A Thin Face

Without a photo it is impossible to tell how many injections you might need.  Typically if you need a great deal of filler it can take three or four syringes to give you the proper lift.  For these type of fillers please consult an expert in the field.  Best, Dr. Green

In reality there is no maximum number of syringes that could be utilize. The important thing is to place the product correctly. If using it on the bony malar prominence lateral to the infraorbital nerve then you can place it supra periosteal (above the bone). If you need to fill the soft tissue of the cheek then it should be injected on the subdermal space. The same if you are going to treat the medial portion of the cheek. If you place the material on the subdermal space then you will need more material because in my opinion the fullness that we get for the HA gets spread in every direction (think 3D effect). When placed against the bone (solid structure), the only way that it will improve is outward, so is more effective in my humble opinion.

Try 2-3 cc to begin, then add more as you can financially can. Patients that are very thin, do need a considerable amount of fillers as they come with malar deficiency, soft tissue of the cheeks deficiency, lower eyelid that are sunken in. Do not expect improvement on the areas that have not been treated immediately if you stage this treatment.

If you notice that is too much the expense and maintenance, consider fat grafting, but in a thin person, this might also be a challenge.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

A small amount of Voluma should go a long way

In my opinion, even with a thin face, 2-3 syringes of Voluma should be a good start and give more than a 50% improvement.  With proper placement and technique, smaller amounts of Voluma should go a long way, especially as compared to other fillers such as Radiesse, Artefill and Scupltra. 

I recommend waiting 4-6 months and adding 1-2 syringes at that time.  There will be a more gradual, natural effect if you add smaller amounts at each treatment rather than many syringes all at once.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma

Each patient varies with the amount of fillers needed.  I commonly use a combination of voluma with collagen for more longer term effects.  But to answer your question about if it's too much voluma, then the answer is there is no max number.  At this point I would speak to your doctor about adding collagen such as Bellafill instead of more voluma.

Realistically how many syringes of Voluma would be needed? = from 2 to 10 #fb #voluma #cheeks #drmesa

Voluma is a great hyaluronic acid based filler to restore the volume of the face, specifically the mid face. The amount of voluma ( syringes ) needed to achieve the desired volume correction varies greatly between patients. This is based on the patient's age, degree of mid face volume loss, facial bony architecture and laxity and redundancy of the skin. 

In  my practice a single patient may get as little as 2 syringes of voluma (patients int eh 20s)  to up to 10 syringes (patients in the 30s and up). Therefore, there is no a realistically "correct" amount of voluma to be injected on a patient. 

John Mesa, MD

Voluma for Thin Face

While Voluma is a great option for lifting the skin and is ideally placed deep for maximum effect, other fillers and collagen stimulating agents may be considered in conjunction.  There is no limitation to the amount of hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers (Voluma, Juvederm, Restylane, Volift, etc) that can be placed.  Visit with your board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if additional HAs or Sculptra or fat would be a good option at this time. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

It is hard without photos to determine how many syringes are needed. For the voluma study, ~6-7 syringes were needed to improve only the midface/cheek area.  If you are looking for facial sculpting you will need an evaluation for overall volume and wrinkle improvement and that may mean something like fat transfer first or sculptra and then using voluma on top to get  a more robust improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Is there a Maximum amount of filler that can be used?

Hi Hattrick357, I don't think that there is a maximum amount of filler that can be used. However, at some point, you need to determine if there is a more efficient way to achieve your desired result. For patients who need a substantial amount of volume I recommend that you look into fat transfer.

Fat transfer offers several advantages over filler. Some of these advantages include the availability of a large amount of material, the potential for much better longevity, no chance of allergic reaction, possible benefit to overall skin texture, and the ability to address global facial volume loss in a more comprehensive manner. 

It is important to consider some of the cons to fat transfer as well. It is more difficult to predict how much volume will survive and you may require more than one procedure to get you the desired result. If you are very lean it may be difficult to get the required volume to get you to your goals. The procedure is more invasive than standard filler injection and requires more downtime. 

I would schedule a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

How many syringes?

This is an excellent question. To be honest, it's difficult to predict how many syringes you may need without seeing your photos. Some patients may require a lot of voluma to achieve correction. However, if you really require a lot and have a thin face, your Plastic Surgeon should have hopefully spoken with you about Sculptra. This treatment is ideal to help "fatten up" a thin face - you typically need anywhere from 2-5 treatments, but the results are more long-lasting, and in the long run it's cheaper than more traditional fillers. Additionally, fat grafting is also an option - this is where fat is taken from elsewhere in the body, processed, and injected into different areas of the face. Best of luck!