How can I protect myself from my children post-mommy-makeover?

I have two small children who love to cuddle and jump all over me. I am scheduled for a MM on 4/13. Full TT, BL and lipo. I know I will not be able to keep my children off of me entirely. Do you have any suggestions for protecting my post-surgery body from my children? Is there something I can put over my body so they can sit with me without danger of hurting me?

How to protect your mommy makeover surgery while recovering when you have kids

All mommy makeover patients have one thing in common: they are moms.  This means they have kids at home who they need to love, feed, take care of, lift, etc.  Many times you are doing the surgery when your kids are still little and require a lot of care.

Things to think about, because you cannot bubble wrap yourself to protect your surgery.

1. Timing.  It is easier to do the surgery when you are not having to lift and carry your child everywhere.  For this reason, many people will wait to do the surgery until their kids are able to walk on their own.  I understand you have to do surgery when you can. For some, when the kids are babies it is easier because they have time off work. Lifting your kids is likely the most problematic- we worry you will pull something or cause a bleed when you strain to lift.

2.  Help.  You need lots of help, particularly for the first 2 weeks. 

A tummy tuck is a big operation.  You will be hunched over, sore, likely with drains.  The less you swell and bruise, the faster you will heal.  The best thing you can do is to take it easy.  This will allow you to be full force again faster and recover faster.  I find those who try to do too much too quickly take the longest to heal.

You will be on pain medications.  There is no driving while on pain medications.

So get help.  Someone to cook for your family, drive, do laundry, help put the kids to bed, etc.  You can't do it alone. Some people may feel better at one week or ten days and can go back to a lot of their normal life, but better to plan.  (Most patients are around 2 weeks with a full mommy makeover).  Your body tells you when you are ready.  Are you still bruised? sore? swollen?  If you are, your body is NOT ready for much activity yet.  Your doctor will help you determine when you can increase your activity level.

And do as much as you can before surgery: freeze meals, stock up on supplies, do the laundry.

3.  Tell your kids you are hurt.  Kids are intuitive and they worry.  Don't tell them everything is normal.  They know it is not.  Kids will also repeat everything you say to them.  When doing a tummy tuck, you can tell them "the babies stretched out mommy's belly muscles and the doctor repaired them, so we need to be very careful around mommy for the next couple weeks." (all true.)  You can still snuggle with them, just don't lift and carry them.  Your clothing and garments will help keep them from touching the incisions.  I like to tell kids their kisses and gentle hugs really make mommy feel better. They want to help.

4.  Wash your hands a lot. If your kids are in school, they are carriers of all sorts of germs.  Just wash your hands, especially before touching your incisions.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Protecting oneself from little children after mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• You will need someone to look after your children and keep you safe.
  • Your children will probably be anxious because of your surgery and will be more demanding than usual.
  • If you cannot send them to stay with a relative for a while, you need someone in the house at all times to look after them for at least one fulll week and ideally, during the day, for another week.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Protecting yourself after a post-mommy makeover, Connecticut

This is a common concern for patients preparing for surgery.  It's important to make a pre and post operative plan. Here are some suggestions:

1. Get thing in order at home. Laundry, housekeeping, groceries, meal planning, childcare, rides to and from kids activities…. For at least 1 or 2 weeks.
  2. You will need a ride to and from the surgery center or hospital. I recommend that this person stay for the duration of the procedure or be available by phone. 
  3. Look into kids activities for the next 2 weeks, and try to have them involved in activities to burning off some energy. This way when they are home they aren't using you as a jungle gym. 
  4. For the 1st 24 hours after surgery you need someone with "you". Make arrangements for childcare and mommy care. 
  5. Set up your space. You will need rest, fluids, food…. Set up a sleeping area that will have some basic things. (Near the bathroom) You will need lots of pillows, a small table for your medications, and a large water bottle. 
  6. When you take your first shower, I recommend someone be there. Don't make the shower too hot. Falls can happen so precautions need to be taken. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Protecting Mommy after surgery

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get someone to help you with the kids.  Depending upon the ages of your children, you may be surprised to find that simply by explaining that "mommy has a sore tummy" will help.  Kids are very in tune to how Mommy feels.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Camille Cash, MD

I would make sure that there is an adult with you during the recovery phase. Someone who can help you and the children at the same time. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Mommy makeover

As the other consultants have already recommended make sur you have a family member or nanny around to help with the children and let them know you will not be feeling well

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

How can I protect myself from my children post mommy makeover?

First, be certain to have a responsible adult available to help you for the first 2 to 4 days following the surgery.  Next, discuss with your children that you are going to be sick for a few days and they must be extra careful not to hurt you.  An abdominal binder or compression garment will help you feel much more comfortable and will help protect you from bumps and bruises.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you to have a person of your family to take care of your kids. Could be your mother or mother in law that they feel confortable to be with.

Aramis Vega, MD

Protection from kids after a mommy-makeover

Thank you for your post, "droopymom2". 

As for kids who "love to cuddle and jump all over me", you really need to be careful, especially after the tummy tuck portion of the operation. You should avoid twisting and moving up and down. The abdominal flaps need to heal into place. If you move around too much, you can easily create a seroma that will require draining. Line up help from parents, in-laws, family, good friends, etc to help watch the kids as much as possible so that you can recover. The first 2 weeks are most critical. As for body protection suits, I'm not familiar with any such post-surgical devices.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Protecting yourself from your children after a mommy makeover.

If your children cannot obey orders then you'll need some help until you have recovered somewhat from the procedure. Generally after three or four days most patients can handle their daily affairs with restriction.