What procedure/s are best to correct my tubular breasts and achieve a normal-looking, full result? (Photo)

And how much would it all cost (OC, California)? I will absolutely only go to a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this procedure and although the price isn't a factor, I would like to know what to expect. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Breast augmentation and lift for tuberous breasts

Thanks for the question.

In general, tuberous breasts require a combination of implants to enhance volume and a lift, sometimes of the periareolar (donut) variety and sometimes with a vertical lollipop incision, in order to reshape the skin envelope. Also, the areola usually appears wide with a bulging of the nipple through the middle that looks more prominent, so we typically reduce the areola and try to tighten down the bulging area of the nipple edge. The lower fold of the breast is also typically quite constricted so we often have to lower the fold and release it. There is a small risk of seeing a remnant of the crease so this has to be done with care, but usually the shaping and volume improvement is so great that it is unnoticeable if it occurs.

Surgery like this can vary from around $6K to over $10K depending on the types of implants, the surgical approach, the facility, and patient factors. Best to get a few in-person consultations and quotes. We use surgical simulation software which is quite helpful for many patients.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for the question.

Consultation for answers

Thank you for reaching out and sharing photos! As mentioned, it does seem you have a very mild case of tuberous breasts. As much as I would love to give you the perfect answer, I think an in person consultation would be your best most accurate way of finding out which options will be best to get you an end result you will love. Previous answers suggest mixed options, a straight augmentation and some suggest a lift and augmentation. With an in person consultation measurements will be done and then you can decide from there which options will work best for you. Be sure to visit experienced board certified surgeons and maybe bring a few "wish photos"! We offer free consultations, please feel free to reach out and message me with any other questions. Best of luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Consultation for answers

What procedure/s are best to correct my tubular breasts and achieve a normal-looking, full result?

I also would start with a breast augmentation placing implants through an incision underneath the breast. Hopefully after a year the implants will expand the areola, periareolar skin and breast. If after a year there is still constriction of the aeola a circumareolar skin resection can be done and the scars will be better than they would if this was done at the time of the first stage.

Not really tubular breasts.....

Hello and thank you for your question.  The good news is that you do not have any more than a mild case of "tuberous" breasts.  Depending on what size implants you want to go with, your nipple to fold distance appears to be adequate to support straight forward augmentation.  However, you do have a more "pointy" breast shape and if this is not appealing to you, a circumareolar lift can be performed to reduce the size of your nipple areola complex and also flatten the shape of the breast.  I think you would have a great result and price will depend on what all you decide you want to have done.  Please be sure to seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in advanced aesthetic breast techniques.  I hope this helps to answer your questions and best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Sean Kelishadi, M.D.

Not really tubular breasts.....

Sincerely,

Sean Kelishadi, M.D.

Thank you for the question and picture. 

I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping). 

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  corrective surgery for constricted or tuberous breasts (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “beautiful looking breast” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. In my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for the question and picture. 

Breast augmentation for tuberous breasts

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation to correct your tuberous breast deformity.  The size, profile, shape, texture, and type of implant (e.g., saline, silicone gel, “gummy bear”) is based on your desired versus existing breast size and shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality. Of course, you will need an in-person consultation to evaluate you for this procedure. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. Any treatment plan should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Good luck! Best,

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Good luck! Best,

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

I would recommend fat grafting as the primary treatment for this condition.

Although fat grafting is not widely recommended for your problem I have had excellent results with fat grafting and this allows fat to be placed in the areas that are deficient superficially. I have accomplished normal appearing breasts with this technique without the use of any implant and without any scarring on your breasts.

You may need multiple sessions of fat grafting to accomplish the result you are looking for. The downtime is minimal.

You could harvest the fat from your abdomen, thighs, flanks or anywhere that there is excess fatty tissue.

Tuberous Braest Correction

Thank you for your question and photos. Pricing will vary between practices and location so I recommend that you first research qualified board certified Plastic Surgeons in your area whose before and after photos appeal to you, then inquire with them directly about their pricing. Tuberous breast correction can involve breast lift incisions around the areolas. Radial scoring of the constrictive bands at the base of the breast will allow breast implants to fill out and reshape that space. This additional work will likely add some additional cost to a standard BA.

All the best

Tuberous Braest Correction

All the best

Breast a

Hi, thanks for sharing your concern and photos with us!

First I want to congratulate you for making this important decision. Deciding to get an aesthetic procedure to change your body and get a new life style is a big step!

Looking at your photos I might say that you´ll be a great candidate to get a breast augmentation with implants. The size of the implant will depend of what you want and what your body support; the results of this procedure are beautiful, giving you and excellent shape of the inner and outer pole of the breast. 

Before all this, of course, you need to get a complete medical evaluation and laboratory exams to check everything is fine. For us your safety, always, is going to be first.

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

Breast a

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  It will be important to release the lower pole constriction bands during your surgery.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Cost varies based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast augmentation

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon