4 weeks post op Tummy Tuck. What is better for scar therapy, the tape or Embrace?

I'm post TT 4 weeks. And have been using the regular tape with benzoin tincture. I have the opportunity to use Embrace for scar therapy. And wanted to see if any doctors had a good outcome with scarring using this product? I know it's fairly new and wanted to see from personal practice experience if it was successful. Thank you.

Scar therapy

There are many products that are available on the market to treat scars.  We recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy since we have seen consistent results from this line of products.  Remember that scars take time to fade, so be patient with any product that you choose.

Scar treatments

I think that tape with benzoin will likely do nothing to help your scar heal.  Embrace may help.  Scar gels can also be helpful.  Time is the most important factor in healing.

Scar therapy

is like voodoo medicine with mostly anecdotal experiences suggesting efficacy.  Embrace was 'shown' to improve scarring on side by side tummy tuck scars but the improvements may only transient as the 'untreated' side matures with time.  Dr. Corbin is doing a side by side to confirm what the article concluded and it would be interesting to see what his results show.  Scars mature with time and also improve with time.  If a horrible scar persists, I'm more inclined to be aggressive with scar treatment after the scar is revised rather than use it on everyone who has a tummy tuck.  But the choice is ultimately yours and if you're inclined to, you could use Embrace on one side and tape on the other but this assumes the tension on the wound was equal on both sides since tension is really the enemy of good scarring.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tape vs. Embrace

Scar management can often be a challenge. Every practitioner looks for ways to minimize the appearance of scars.  I have used Embrace with my patients for approximately six months.  I believe that there is nothing better when it comes to scar management after tummy tuck. This has been supported by at least one study published earlier this year in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal.  The reason Embrace may work better than tapes or topical treatments is that Embrace takes some of the tension off of the healing incision.  Embrace is quite a bit more expensive than other products, however I do believe that it is effective.  You must use it early during healing for it to be most effective however.  At four weeks since your procedure, you are already a little bit behind for the Embrace. It should still have some benefit however should you choose to use it.   

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Scar

Thank you for the question and I use embrace and biocorneum in my practice and am presently doing a study side by side to see if there is a difference shortand long term.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Scar control

Thank you for the excellent question. Scar control after abdominoplasty is a topic my patients and I spend a lot of time on. I like silicone based products because the literature supports their use and results. ScarGaurd is used as a liquid and silicone tape or sheets can be very effective. I ask my patients to use this for months than move to a moisturizer after that. Hope this helps

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Scar Recovery Gel

I have tried almost everything out there on patients over the past 20 years and in my experience I think that a relatively new product called Scar Recovery Gel is the most effective product in minimizing the appearance of scars. It is available without a prescription but usually only available through a physicians office. I will usually recommend it for all patients and have them begin applying it to a new healing scar within a week of surgery. Consult with your plastic surgeon regarding specific instructions for your particular case.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon