I'd like opinions on filling breast with implant and doing lift later if desired. Looking to create fullness more than perkiness

I'm 42 5'6 and 125 I have small sagging slightly uneven breast from breastfeeding. Was advised lolipop lift with 300cc implant but I'm afraid to cut my nipples. I'd like opinions on just filling them for now. One doc said they can fill them now to see if I'm happy and go back later on and do lift if I really want. I'd like some opinions please.

Lollipop Lift with Implants to Restore Fullness

Many patients report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be have decreased with pregnancies and breastfeeding.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants.

I usually prefer to do the #BreastLift and #Augmentation together. A number of plastic surgeons prefer two operations on separate occasions. For instance: The mastopexy followed by implant surgery on a different date. These procedures are usually staged at 2-3 months minimum to allow for swelling and healing to be at a reasonable point.
My revision rate for one stage is less than 15%.Two stages is not necessary for at least 85% of the patients when performed by and experienced Plastic Surgeon.

For a #BreastLift, I prefer to use a the #LollipopScar technique, to reduce scarring. Rather than the anchor pattern which a majority of surgeons in the United States prefer to use.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's a great question.  The decision whether you would benefit from a lift, really depends on your examination. If there is a lot of sagging of the breast, then you would likely benefit from an implant and a breast lift.  However, if the amount of sagging is mild, than many patients are very happy with just a breast implant. 

Breast implant and breast lift procedures are commonly done separately.  If you are good candidate, then performing a breast augmentation and then waiting to see what you think of the result can be a very good option for patients who are hoping to avoid the scars of a breast lift.

Staged Augmentation and Breast Lift

Thank you for your question but the specific answer for you can only be given after a formal consultation.

Staged procedures can be done. In fact, the complication and revision rates are statistically lower after staged procedures.

The reason I say your specific answer can't be given is that the first stage is dictated by the appearance of the breast. If the breast skin is very lax then the lift will need to be done first. If the skin is only minimally lax then augmentation of the breast can be done first.

Spend time discussing your options with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you understand what is possible. Managing your expectations while understanding your restrictions will be critical in getting you where you hope to be.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Staged Augmentation and Breast Lift

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

The lift can be performed at a later date following the augmentation.

Beverly Hills, CA

Beverly Hills, CA

When my patients are borderline

in their presentation in terms of nipple  drooping, they are always given the opportunity to just have the augmentation first and see for themselves if a lift is needed.  Lifts bring added costs, risks, and scars so they shouldn't be thought of lightly when facing that decision.  If your droopiness if obvious that you will have a funky look, then you should go ahead with the procedure at the same time.  Your surgeon can help you visualize the results that you will have.  And the bottom line... its your decision.

When my patients are borderline

Breast implants with or without a breast lift

If your breasts are mildly droopy, a saline or silicone gel implant placed behind the pectoral muscle might help create the illusion of perkiness. That’s because as the implant fills out the top of the breast, it also fills out the bottom, making it look as if the nipple has moved higher. It hasn’t. A silicone gel implant placed in front of the pectoral muscle might create the same illusion. After a minimum of 9 months, when the implant has settled, you'll have a better idea whether or not you think they are perky enough. You can always get a lift later if needed.

If your breasts are moderately to severely droopy and you get implants, it could look as if you have four breasts, with the breast implants up high and your natural breasts down low. A breast lift (mastopexy), with or without implants, would be a better choice; it would restore the breasts to a more youthful look by repositioning the nipples at a higher position and removing excess skin. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Staged procedure

As long as you understand that the results of an an augmentation alone will be suboptimal and your breast will need to be lifted as a secondary procedure. You can discuss doing this with your surgeon. If you are happy with the look of the first surgery, you can consider not doing the lift afterwards.

Staged procedure

Breast Augmentation and Mastopexy (breast Lift): Information

Dear Ms. Dfal,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately without photos and  a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful

BREAST LIFT
Mastopexy involves shaping the breast, repositioning the nipple areolar complex(NAC) and when needed reducing the size of the NAC by removing excess skin that cause the sag of the breast. The nipple is left connected to the breast tissue.
Depending on how much excess skin and desired shape the three main types:
1)Peri areolar = doughnut shaped scar around NAC
2)Vertical = lollipop shaped scar
3)Inverted "t" = anchor shaped scar
Each of the above techniques involves a progressive removal of excess skin and builds on each other to lift and contour the skin "bra" to the shape of the breast desired.

SIZE
Breast size will not significantly change because skin is only resected.

SENSATION
The nerve to the nipple areolar complex (NAC) is directly under the NAC and USUALLY not disturbed by removing the excess breast skin during a mastopexy. The surrounding breast skin may have some short term numbness but usually returns.

UPPER UPPER POLE FULLNESS
Current mastopexy techniques will not attain the "upper pole" fullness patients desire. A small augmentation can be added to create this upper pole contour and not to increase size substantially.

SCARS
Scaring is always a concern. However there are various postoperative "anti scar"
programs to optimize, reduce and treat scars.
In my experience if the desired goals of shape and positioning of the NAC is obtained .... The patients rarely complain about the scars.

I suggest you you collect several "model" or "goal" photos and then make a appt. with Plastic Surgeon, who has experienced and who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600p

Dear Ms. Dfal,

BREAST LIFT
2)Vertical = lollipop shaped scar
3)Inverted "t" = anchor shaped scar

SIZE

SENSATION

UPPER UPPER POLE FULLNESS

SCARS

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600p

Breasts uneven and slightly asymmetric

I would urge you to do the correct surgery as you will not have satisfactory results with a breast implant augmentation; You cannot get appropriately sized, symmetric, appropriate nipple position, upper pole fullness, appropriate medial cleavage if your breasts are sagging at all. Please se examples below and take advantage of our special while supplies last. Please make a consultation to discuss how you can save by performing a simultaneous breast lift with implant augmentation.

Breasts uneven and slightly asymmetric

Sometimes a two stage approach to breast enhancement surgery is done to improve the appearance of the breasts. If your breasts are borderline for needing a lift, you can do the breast augmentation first. Then you could consider a lift after healing from your augmentation if you think you need a lift. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. 

Dr. Gregory Park

Dr. Gregory Park