Odd looking bruise appeared on right breast 6 weeks post breast augmentation. (photos)

I am currently about to reach 11 weeks post op and this bruise is still here. It is only on my right breast and am getting nervous that it won't go away. Would it be exercise related at all? I am active but have been doing very light weights/body weight workouts and cardio. I know bruising is a sign of healing but my bruises that were there right after my surgery are gone now. This one appeared randomly and hasn't gone away. Is there anything I can do to it?

Bruise?

Thank you for your question and picture. It doesn't appear to be a classic bruise, especially if it's persisting. It looks more like a vascular lesion (dilated veins) near the nipple. It may have been present before surgery and is now more noticeable because of stretching of the skin. I'd recommend letting your surgeon take a look at it. Good luck.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Late-Onset Bruising After Breast Augmentation

The history you give of that lesion does not seem to be consistent with bruising. It is more that of a vascular ectasia. Have your plastic surgeon check it out for you. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Persistent bruise 11 weeks after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

•  Your photo is very helpful.
  • The appearance is not at all like a bruise and a bruise would be unlikely to appear 6 weeks after surgery
  • Nor does it look like Mondor's disease which is painful and usually in the veins around the incision.
  • You appear to most likely have a vascular ectasia (dilated blood vessels) that were always present but less noticeable until your breasts were enlarged -
  • Or that developed in response to stretching of the breasts.
  • Treatment is most likely to be with a laser to seal the veins but first ask your surgeon
  • If however your surgeon diagnosed this as a bruise, s/he is not familiar with the problem and your best step is to ask for  referral to a Board Certified Dermatologist

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Bruising

From the photographs and timing, I doubt this is a bruise especially if it hasn't dissipated or changed colors by this time. It appears to me to be some type of vascular ectasia which can be best described as an overgrowth of dilated blood vessels. Your plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can both see it in person as well as look at the blood flow when you push on it can best help you with not only what it is but whether or not or how it should be treated. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Bruise after BA

Thank you for your question. If it is there that long I recommend you to see your surgeon for evaluation. If it is a simple bruise usually it go away by this time.

Breast augmentation bruising

Dilated and firm veins can occur along the breast following breast augmentation. This is called Mondor's disease. This condition can easily resolve with hot compresses and Aspirin like medications. I would contact you surgeon for an examination prior to taking any more medications.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Odd looking bruise appeared on right breast 6 weeks after augmentation.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. Unfortunately this is unlikely to be a bruise if it has persisted for over 11 weeks and I would have you discuss this with your surgeon.  They may want to have you seen be a dermatologist to obtain a definite diagnosis.  Hope this helps.

Bruise

Thank you for the question but stop worrying it probably does not mean anything.  If concerned see your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Odd looking bruise appeared on right breast 6 weeks post breast augmentation.

At 11 weeks this is unlikely a bruise related to your original surgery.  The fact that it persist for 5 weeks suggests that it may be a surface vascular lesion.  It is best to be examined directly by your surgeon for diagnosis and not rely on Internet advice.