Why is nose shifting after surgery? (Photos)

3.5 weeks ago I had septoplasty. I also had an osteotomy and nasal valve repair. My nose keeps wanting to go back to its previous crooked shape. Why does this keep happening? The surgeon has had to manually adjust the bone twice so far and it looks like I will need to go again. 1. Why does this keep happening? 2. What can I do at home to help prevent? 3. Are there any kind of splints or supports I can wear when at home or to bed? 4. Is there something surgical? 5. Will an oral steroid help

What can I do about my shifting nose after surgery?

Unfortunately, in many cases, if a person has a crooked nose and even if everything is done to straighten it, there is a possibility in a certain percentage of cases that it will go back to how crooked it was because the cartilage has been that way for a long time and it has its "memory". I would be very doubtful if any manipulation externally will help it. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty asymmetry

What you are experiencing is unfortunately not at all unusual.  The crooked cartilage in the nose tends to make it quite difficult to achieve perfect symmetry with a nose job.  Even if it is straightened at the time of surgery, there is a good chance it will become crooked after the splint is removed.  A second rhinoplasty may be successful in correcting this, but there is no guarantee.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

You are best discussing this with your surgeon. Some surgeons advocate taping but again that may or may not be helpful in your case. Also, severely crooked noses are very tough to get perfectly straight so it is important that you and your surgeon are on the same page regarding the surgical goals. Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon