Is it possible to get a natural, sloped breast shape with round implants?

I'm 5'4", 128 lbs, a B-cup (breast dia 12cm,flat/convex chest), and would like to be a full C/small D (300-400cc). I prefer a natural breast shape with a sloping upper pole and full lower pole. Can I achieve this with round implants (I prefer these to anatomical)? If so, what profile? One doctor told me high since I have breast tissue, others recommend mod/mod+. Also, I'm hopeful for cleavage, but understand it might not be possible because of the shape of my chest wall. Thank you!

Achieving a natural shape with a round implant

Absolutely and thank you for your question.

In my opinion, the best option for a natural appearance to the breast is achieved with a round smooth implant placed in a partial submuscular location. The upper 50-60% of the implant is under both breast and pectoralis muscle. The lower third is under breast alone. In this position the muscle compresses the upper pole of the implant displacing some of the volume to the lower pole of the breast and softening the fullness of the upper breast. This look is created with a form stable implant or gummy bear which is firmer and requires tissue ingrowth to prevent rotation. The dual plane technique provides the look of the gummy bear without the need of the gummy bear implant. The degree of upper pole fullness is created with the profile of the implant you chose.

As the breast ages, volume is lost above the nipple. The added muscle layer minimizes the potential for visible ripples. Also as the muscle flexes the implant moves with the breast maintaining a normal appearance to the breast.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to get a natural, sloped breast shape with round breast implants?

Yes, absolutely.  Around implants are designed to mimic the shape of the natural breast gland.  Once round implants were placed into the body the gel within the implant descends deform a nice low full lower pole which appears anatomically like normal breast.

Smooth and Round Should Work Well

A smooth round implant placed behind the muscle can give a very natural shape to the breasts with a sloping upper pole. The lower profile implants do this better than the high profile ones. They also tend to give more cleavage which is important to you. Choose the profile in consultation with your plastic surgeon based on your breast diameter and the desired implant volume. 

George Sanders, MD

Achieving a natural breast shape with round implants

Hi and thank you for the question. I can't get too specific with your case without photos or seeing you in person. That being said, it is absolutely possible to get a nice, natural upper pole with round implants. High profile is not the answer. That will give you the most operated look. To get a more natural upper pole with round implants I would use low or moderate profile implants. The best thing for you to do would be to find a practice like ours that uses the Vectra 3D imaging system. We can use this software to show you how you would look with a variety of sizes and styles of implants. I could show you very clearly how a moderate style implant would look more natural than a high profile implant. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

YES, it IS possible to have a natural "sloped" shape with round implants.  The final shape of your augmented breast depends in large measure upon characteristics of your skin envelope, and the relationship of that skin cover to the implant.  Your final shape is a function of many elements, but arguably is more dependent on your skin than on the implants themselves.  If you get capsular contracture, the shape may be un-natural regardless of implant shape or type.  Provided you don't choose disproportionately large implants, once your skin and soft tissue expand to accommodate the devices, they settle into their pocket and your upper breast slopes naturally under the influence of gravity.  Support from below in the form of a tight or push-up bra will create fullness of the upper breasts, but this happens with or without implants.

Steve Laverson, MD

Natural sloped breast with round implant

Thanks for your question and including your base diameter. Pictures would of helped in my assessment. A naturally slopped breast can easily be achieved with round implants if it is placed under the muscle. Question of moderate vs high profile implant needs to be explored further. If your goal is C/D cup and you are currently B cup you will need a high profile implant. With that said, a moderate profile implant will give you more of a slope. Your answer Depends what is most important to you: cup size or slope. A surgeon can not really modify your cleavage much other that picking an implant with a base diameter similar (not significantly smaller) to your base diameter.  Hope that helped. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

If you want a natural result, don't use high profile implants.

it is difficult to tell you for certain without a photograph, but round implant certainly can give you a very natural result. However, the higher the profile, the less sloping there is to the breast. For most women after pregnancy, I recommend a moderate plus profile implant. This helps give you some "umph" in the top without being overpowering.  good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C-D and a 36 C- D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is no direct correlation between implant number of cc's and cup size in any particular patient.

It is certainly possible to achieve a natural looking result with a round moderate or moderate+  implant in the appropriate patient. In general patients will not achieve that appearance with a high profile implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Natural result with round implants

You can have a natural result with a nice upper pole slope using round implants if you have the implants placed under the muscle and use mod/mod+ profiles.  Another factor would be how much breast tissue you have.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Natural look breast implants

There is a point for every  patient where you cross the line and a larger implant begins to look "artificial".  This line varies with each patient.  Some factors in determing this are:

1. The distance from your collar bone to the nipple.  The shorter the distance, the smaller the implant you can use.
  2. The distance from the nipple to the inframammary fold.  Although this skin usually stretches, in some patients it is so short that you can only use a small implant before the breast looks artificial.
  3. The tightness of the breast/breast skin.  Many women have some laxity and in these women you can use a larger implant.

In the end, its a matter of clinical judgement and sizing on the operating table at the time of surgery.  I ask patients to give me guidance regarding desired look and cup size and then determine final implant choice at that time.  I think its a mistake to tie a surgeon's hands to a specific implant size and shape.  You may get the implant you chose, but not the breast shape you wanted.

Samuel Beran, MD