How long is the recovery period? Want to know how long I should take time off work after having breast implant removal?

What is the recovery after breast implant removal?

I can do breast implant removal under only a local anesthetic in my certified office operating facility. Most patients can return to almost full activity within day or two but heavy activity only after two weeks.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast implant removal

Thank you for your questions.  Recovery after breast implant removal is usually quicker than after their placement.  Capsulectomy/capsulotomy can add to the recovery time.  Patients can usually go back to a desk job in a few days and normal activity in a couple of weeks.  Strenuous exercise would not be recommended for at least 3-4 weeks.  Hope this helps...best of luck!

Joyce C. Chen, MD

Implant removal - recovery time?

Thank you for your question about your breast implant removal.

It depends on what if anything is done at the time of the implant removal.
You may need removal of the capsule and/or a breast lift.
If only the implant is removed, recovery is a few days and you can exercise usually in 2 weeks.
If you have a capsulectomy and a lift -recovery is about a week to return to a desk job -
Four to six weeks to return to working out.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - recovery period?

That depends on what else, if anything, is being done.

For example, removing smooth saline implants - without having a lift, or capsulectomy - is the simplest procedure.  In that case, patients usually have little discomfort, the drain (if any) is removed within a few days and only a couple of days of light activity is necessary.

If, however, more is done - capsulectomy or capsulotomy, breast lift - there the recovery is proportionately longer.

The specifics of your procedure(s) and the recovery need to be discussed with you by your own PS who can go over what to expect with each aspect of your care.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500

Recovery after breast implant removal

Recovery after breast implant removal is much easier than after placement and my patients often go back to work the next day.

Recovery

Returning to work depends on what is done at surgery.  If you are having implant removal without capsulectomy, you could return to work within a couple of days as long as you do not have to lift heavy objects.  If capsulectomy, you may need a week to 10 days.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Recovery period after breast implant removal

The actual procedure remove implants has a pretty short recovery. I usually leave a drain for a few days to prevent seroma. Speak to your surgeon about whether or not he or she plans on doing that and factor that into your recovery. Some people find drains no big deal and some find that drains are completely incapacitating. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

How long is the recovery period?

If you are having pure implant removal with no capsulectomy, you should be fine to return to work within a couple of days. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Most patients who undergo breast implant removal surgery experience minimal discomfort compared to the initial operation. Timing to return to work will depend on what type of work you do; patients are able to return to a desk job, for example, within a few days. I would suggest that you discuss your questions/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, who will be in the best position to advise you more specifically.

Breast Implant Removal

Thank you for your question. If it is simply a removal of an implant, you will likely have minimal postoperative discomfort. It would likely be reasonable to return to work in a few days if you do not have a strenuous job. Be sure to check with your surgeon first. Best, Dr. Kludt