I'm 2 months post labiaplasty and I'm unhappy with results. It seems bumpy and asymmetrical. Was something done wrong? (Photo)

I may have had unrealistic expectations with my labiaplasty but I would like to know if this looks like a normal result for 2 and a half months post-op? It seems a bit bumpy and asymmetrical. I was hoping for it to be more symmetrical and smoother looking. Was something done wrong?? Thanks!

Post Labiaplasty Healing

Due to the nature of the tissue in the labial area it is not unusual to have unequal amounts of swelling which generally should improve and become more symmetric over several weeks. Secondly, the swelling of the will slowly shrink in size over a four (4) to six (6) week period. If you have certain concerns about the #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Another labiaplasty revision necessary after surgery by non-cosmetically trained surgeon

Dear Ms. "TBradley,:  Not so much "...done wrong" as NOT DONE WELL, essentially amputating the lower 3/4ths of your inner labia minora and then not knowing how to proceed with the outer hood "prepucial fold" and basically leaving it untouched in addition to not "bevelling" the minora incision line. Various "...less than well trained" genital surgeons have techniques that are either not "...tried and true," or are variations of doing everything the same way & trying to make your anatomy fit all they know how to do... I've seen this result many times from general Ob/Gyn's. (On second thought, I was being too kind. If you compare this result to the average general Ob/Gyn, then "not well" is the word; if comparing to a well-trained cosmetic gynecologist or plastic surgeon, then "done wrong"  CERTAINLY is the term!)

It looks like you had a linear/trim amputation with no attention paid to the proper way to work with your two distinct folds. Originally, you would have been an excellent candidate for a "Y" modification of V-wedge, bringing down the lower frenular fold, attaching it with a 3-layer closure to the posterior commissure in order to better curtain the opening, and continuing the incision line laterally in a "Y fashion to take up the bulk of your hood, while still maintaining a mini-fold there for aesthetics. Or, a surgeon more at home with linear resection could have performed a careful curvulinear labial resection carefully beginning above your barely present posterior commisure, with a separate parallel careful hood resection, a "curtaining" procedure leaving two aesthetic folds, the upper ending up gently inserting into the lateral portion of the labial fold.

If you are 2 1/2 months, things will not change appreciably, I am sorry. There may be tiny differences over the next 2-3 months, but not much. You very well may look down, feel "...it could have been better," but decide to do nothing more. Of course you know that it will matter not to the man or woman who loves you. HOWEVER, this of course is about YOU.

In my opinion, give it a bit more time. If you decide to revise, in my opinion, looking at your photo (different from a "hands-on evaluation, I should emphasize), you would be a quite decent candidate for a modification using a shallow V-wedge, utilizing the outer portion (the original prepucial fold) for the new labia, and smoothing out the top of the left inner fold. Although you may consult ~ 3-4 months after surgery, best to wait until 5-6 months after original surgery to proceed with revision. You have a fine surgeon in L.A. with Dr. Alter, and I do a lot of this work up North (near Sacramento) Please see the weblink below for examples of LP outcomes, and feel free to peruse the site for any information helpful to you.

Michael P Goodman MD
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty revision

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You had a trim which needs to be reconstructed.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  I know that I could significantly improve your result with multiple wedges.  Fortunately, you have a lot of tissue to work with.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Yes; The trim method was done by an amateur

The doctor performed the trim method, which in my opinion never gives smooth results. The best way to have a natural contour to the labia is with the extended wedge approach, where the edge is your normal edge. You have a prominent clitoral hood and reduplication, which is best treated with the extended wedge approach.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD

Nothing done wrong

as the other surgeons suggest as your labia are reduced.  I hope you had an opportunity to discuss different ways of reducing your labia and that you were not offered the 'one size fits all' option.  The suturing has left your edges scalloped and rough looking but it may improve as you continue to heal.  And is possible your surgeon was more conservative so less was taken off (and its better to be conservative than excessively aggressive) and revisions could be done to get the final result you desire.  Best to talk to your surgeon about your outcome and what his/her thoughts are (as you've received many opinions here that its sub-par) and what can be done to help achieve a more refined result.

Curtis Wong, MD

Unhappy with results 2 months after labiaplasty with asymmetry and bumps. Was something done wrong?

Dear TBradley42,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your concerns.  Your pictures comparing before and after show that the surgeon did not properly address the hood area separate from the labia minora, and it is the surgical technique that left you with the bumps and asymmetry.  It is best to wait another few months before considering another surgery as the tissues are still healing under the skin.  A revision is best done by someone ( a cosmetic gynecologist or plastic surgeon) who is highly experienced in performing labiaplasties and revisions.  Be sure to question whoever you go to, see lots of before and after pictures and ask about their complications and how they were resolved.

I hope this information is helpful and know you should be able to achieve the results you desire in the right hands.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Labiaplasty expectations

Hello TBradley,
Thank you for posting your photos with your question.  I don't think you have unrealistic expectations. Nothing appears to have been done "wrong", but it's possible that your surgeon doesn't have the skills or aesthetic eye to accomplish the natural results you were looking for. This requires a lot of experience achieved only after performing 100s of labiaplasty procedures. I'm sorry, but you looked better before. The good news is that it can be revised. I included a link on Revision Labiaplasty to help you find a surgeon who can help you.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

I'm 2 months post labiaplasty and I'm unhappy with results. It seems bumpy and asymmetrical. Was something done wrong?

Thank you for sharing your photograph and questions.  Your picture indicates that you had a trim labiaplasty performed to address labial hypertrophy.  Unfortunately this was done without tapering the tissues near your clitoris and without addressing the excess lateral prepuce tissue. Once your tissue swelling has fully resolved and the pliability of the labial skin has returned see a specialist in labiaplaties to help you get the results you are interested in.  Hope this helps.

Bumpy and asymmetrical

Dear Ms Bradley;

I appreciate your questions and you sharing pictures of your before and after labia surgery.   To answer your question I can't say that something was done wrong but perhaps your surgeons technique is not as refined as another surgeon's technique.  It is quite obvious to me that the post surgical picture is the one on the right side.   

It is also obvious to me that your surgeon treated your lateral redundant prepuce reduction as part of your labia minora reduction and merged the two surgeries together.   Surgeons who are well versed treat these two conditions as separate entities: 1) lateral prepuce reduction  2) labia minora reduction--- both which can be done at the same time. If you look closely at the before picture you should be able to see the two separate structures:  1) the lateral prepuce is the lateral wings of the clitoral hood which dives behind the labia so they actually start above the clitoris and look like an upside down "V"  and 2) the labia minora start underneath the clitoral hood ( you can't really see where they start because they disappear under the clitoral hood to meet at the frenulum of the clitoris.) These are the actual labia which I assume you wanted reduced.  The problem is  many if not most surgeon will cut them with one long cut from top to bottom and then sew the edges and incorporate the two areas together when they sew--- when in fact it is my experience they should be treated as two separate structures and cut and sutured separately.  Therefore you would have 4 suture lines 2 on each side of the vagina.  I might be wrong but  it appears as if it was one long suturing area on each side and it all sort of merges. Again this is not wrong for most surgeon but I just find it does not give a patient the best cosmetic results.

I would highly encourage you see a great labiaplasty revision surgeon i.e. someone who fixes previous labiaplasties.  You really need to do your homework and choose a surgeon with experience not someone who has performed 50-100 labiaplasties -----you need someone who has done 100's of labiaplasties and someone who has performed dozens of revisions.  You will only get one more chance to get this right. As for when this surgery could be done---- In my experience one does not need to wait 6 months, 12 weeks is usually sufficient for a linear resection I tell you this based upon my experience of performing labiaplasties for almost 20 years.   I think much of your problem can be fixed if the surgeon is skilled and has at the experience.

John R Miklos MD
Book Author "Vaginal Rejuvenation"
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Expectations post labiaplasty

Two months post your procedure is too early to be concerned about asymmetry or lumps and bumps. As you continue to heal your labiaplasty will smooth out and those lumps and contouring issues should resolve. At about 6 months if you feel like there is still too much skin, it would be an appropriate time to discuss a revision.

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon