Just got labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction 4 days ago - is everything okay? (Photo)

Amputation type procedure

This is work that was done by someone who does not have delicate skills with this anatomy. This is usually what things look like when an inexperienced or non-delicate GYN does a trim procedure. Your swelling is much worse than a typical extended wedge procedure would be, my technique of choice. You can either stay with your current doctor, or find another one who can help you. Wait 6 months before considering any revision, and see a true expert this go around.

When in the acute recovery phase as you are

you must be contacting your surgeon about such issues and for prescriptions if needed.  I hope by now your swelling is tolerable and your symptoms have improved.

Curtis Wong, MD

Too swollen to tell if "everything is okay"

Hello Kassie,
You are very swollen so things will appear very abnormal. The best thing for you to do is to be seen by your surgeon for evaluation and reassurance.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Just got labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction 4 days ago - is everything okay?

Thank you for your question and photo.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations without an examination.  One can see swelling in the image but beyond that one can not judge if everything is OK.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an evaluation to reassure that it is well.

4 days after labiaplasty and hood reduction...Is everything okay?

Dear Kassie,

Thank you for writing in with your post-op concerns and for sharing your photo. It is normal for many patients to have swelling after labia and hood reduction surgery. To reduce swelling and pain I recommend to my patients soft ice packs on and off for the first few days after surgery wrapped in a washcloth, Dermaplast numbing and anti-septic spray helps and ibuprofen or extra-strength Tylenol. Arnica Montana is an herb that helps reduce swelling and bruising post-op and comes as small dissolvable tablets. Don't stand for long periods of time as that will pull fluid into your pelvis and make you feel achy, more uncomfortable and worsen swelling. Please contact your surgeon for his/her recommendations and for pain meds for a few days until the swelling and pain reduce if you need them.

I hope this information is helpful and speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

4 Days After Labiaplasty

Hi Kassie... You are only 4 days out from your surgery and it seems you have a good amount of swelling.  Without examining you, it is very difficult to give you much more information.  Try to rest, keep the stitches moisturized and see your surgeon for an in-person examination.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - Wayne, NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph. Unfortunately you have developed significant soft tissue swelling to your labia majora and clitoral hood accounting for your discomfort and inability to stand and walk comfortably. I would recommend bedrest for a few days with pelvic elevation and cold compresses to help improve your current appearance. Use of oral arnica and bromelain through oral supplements or pineapple may also prove beneficial. Hang in there, this can improve quickly if you afford yourself the time off to do so.

Ask your surgeon

You're swollen and distorted. This is typical to varying degrees soon after surgery and subsides over time. Nothing else can be determined from a photo. See your surgeon.