Labia Minora.

I recently went to a plastic surgeon about my labia minora, and she recommended instead of labiaplasty a tightening laser or remedy but I am yet to find what it is called and what the "procedure" or what it is like and the benefits?

Can you provide us with pics so we can better evaluate what your needs are.I would also recommend perhaps trying to find another cosmetic surgeon that specializes in pelvic reconstruction surgery for another opinion and evaluation.Best of luck to you :)

Labiaplasty: Techniques

Thank you for your question.  It is challenging to evaluate your current condition and provide recommendations without photographs.  I would recommend a consultation with an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon to discuss your goals and the surgical options.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Non-Surgical Options

Hello and thank you for your question. Here is some information that I provide to my patients regarding Non-Surgical Options for vaginal rejuvenation surgery:With the availability of recent technology, there are few nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation options available  for our patients. CO2 fractionated lasers include the FemiLift, MonaLisa Touch and IntimaLase. The ThermiVa as radiofrequency energy that can also treat the outer Labia to reduce and tighten this area. 
It can increase blood flow, sensitivity , and orgasm. It can increase moisture and decrease  stress urinary incontinence for many women. PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma )  can be added to these procedures which may make a difference in the outcome. It can be injected into the vaginal mucosa to increase circulation and vaginal health , O-shot.   PRP can also be used for a “G” Shot which is injected into the G-spot. Costs for non-surgical laser vaginal rejuvenation are approximately 3000 - for 3 sessions.  Twice yearly or yearly follow up treatments are recommended to maintain vaginal health.If PRP is being added there is an additional $1000-1200 per treatment session. You should never hesitate to take any and all questions to your surgeon before deciding on your procedure and scheduling a date. Best of luck to you and I hope you find your desired results.

The tightening lasers will help if there is a small amount of excess skin but most people will be happier with a labiaplasty to remove the extra skin. A posterior wedge technique is the preferred method as it preserves sensation and removes the excess skin.
Dr Ennis

Labia Minora.

Thank you for sharing your question.  There are lasers used to tighten the vaginal opening but none that appropriately reduce the size of the labia minora like a labiaplasty does.  Without a full series of photographs or in-person examination and discussion of your goal desires it is difficult to offer the best recommendations but i would recommend seeing a series of surgeons in consultation to see if their proposed treatments match.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty or...something non-surgical?

Thanks for your question.  I cannot take a guess as to what, specifically, the plastic surgeon you consulted with was thinking about when she recommended a "laser" instead of a labiaplasty.   I am very familiar with surgical correction of large or generous labia minora for cosmetic purposes, but also am familiar with the various vaginal lasers and the one radiofrequency device, ThermiVa.  Clearly, a surgical labiaplasty is the "gold standard" procedure for addressing this problem.  The lasers DO NOT address skin tightening of the external genitalia at all.  ThermiVa does address this, however, in a limited and patient-dependent way.  Take a look at the before-and-after photos in the link below.  This particular surgeon's office is in Laguna Beach, CA.  If you are only looking for a small reduction of moderately large labia minora and you want to avoid surgical options, then this may be a valid option for you.  Otherwise, look for a qualified surgeon who does many of these procedures and have an in-person consultation.  Best of luck!

Labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation surgery

Labiaplasty will reduce the size of the labia - excess external labial skin. Vaginal rejuvenation is s surgery to tighten the vaginal caliber, to enhance friction during intercourse. 

Labiaplasty with "tightening laser"

There is no "tightening laser" for the labia minora/majora, only for the vaginal canal. Please read on for legitimate labiaplasty options:Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

OMG- stay away from that Plastic Surgeon!

There is no substitute for the "Gold Standard," surgical LABIAPLASTY, performed by an expert who SPECIALIZES in female genital plastic/cosmetic surgery. I am a cosmetic Gynecologist and have performed > 650 labiaplasties. I also own a fractional CO2 laser machine ("FemiLift") which sorta can "shrink" tissue, but not really (it's use is in other areas.) But BEWARE!! Many docs who are NOT TRAINED in the "Gold Standard" have bought these machines and falsely tout their ability to do what should be done surgically. Do Not Trust a doc who offers you a RF or Laser procedure and is not also experienced & savvy in surgical LP, and can PROVE it to you by showing 20+ "before & afters" of their work.
You have good well-trained genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons in your area, and are a short plane ride away from others in CA. Do your homework: look at websites, compare experience, technique (make sure(!!) you only see surgeons who are capable in BOTH linear/trim & V-wedge procedures), whether they use "local anesthesia (best!) and price. The most important decision is who cam best remodel YOUR labia...
Check the attached weblink and navigate the site for LOADS of info. Best wishes,
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

The radiofrequence machines such as the Viora Reaction will act to tighten you skin, but there is no substitute for the Gold Standard, trimming the labia.

Arian Mowlavi, MD