Invisalign: General Dentist Vs. Orthodontist? (photo)

I went to a general DDS for Invisalign consult (a referral). When I went to my regular DDS for routine work, he said I should go to an ortho because there is too much at risk with my bite, etc. that a general dentist isn't trained for. I'm worried an ortho will charge me more and I won't be able to afford it at all. Plus, this guy does a lot of Invisalign and my bite is pretty well intact, I just have a lot of crowding. Thoughts?

Doctor Answers 4

Experience and expertise may be worth it

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you needed heart surgery, even though your family doctor can be a general surgeon, you would never let that happen.  You would definitely seek out a cardiac surgeon to work with.  It should be no different with your teeth.

Keep in mind that not all orthodontists are more skilled with Invisalign than all general dentists, but in general, the experts with Invisalign are more likely orthodontists.  Hope that wasn't too confusing :).

Toronto Orthodontist

Gp vs orthodontist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have often found that the GPs charge more than the orthodontists for Invisalign treatment!

All things being equal, I would feel safer with an orthodontist...not that GPs can't get a good result but there is something to be said for someone who is an expert in his/her field....especially since the fee would probably be the same

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

General Dentist vs Orthodontist for Invisalign

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A GP that is trained and experienced in Invisalign can treat your case, or should be able to tell you if it is too much for him to handle.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Dentist

Orthodontists are tooth-moving specialists

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An orthodontist has 2-3 years of training after dental school doing just orthodontics, so if you are looking for someone to move your teeth, your best bet is to go with a professional who is trained only for that purpose. Of course there are some general dentists who have a lot of experience with Invisalign, but an orthodontist is still usually more knowledgeable.  The fees charged by a general dentist and orthodontist are usually about the same for Invisalign, so I wouldn't let that be the determining factor in picking a doctor.

Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling, DMD
New York Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.