Inframammary incision: why do some doctors decide to have the incision a centimeter before the fold?

Isn't it better visually to have the incision right at the fold so it's harder to see the scar? I would love some expert opinion on this because I am very concerned about where it would scar.

Where should a breast aug incision be

Definitely not below the fold or it will be visible.   But ideally not in the fold either, or it will show if your bikini or bra rides up - ideally a cm or two above the fold.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I would agree with some of the other doctors that the incision should be at the fold.  An incision below the fold is more noticeable.

Inframmanary incision

I prefer using the inframmary incision for breast augmentation.  I try to get the scar at the fold or slightly higher.  It is better to have the fold a little high than a little low.  If it is too low it will be visible.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Hi and  thanks for your question. I recommend placing the incision directly with in the inframammary fold. If the incision is closed properly and supported post operatively the scar will be inconspicuous and lie directly within the crease.  The most important decision that you can make is to see a very experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. That is my advice after 30+ years performing aesthetic plastic surgery. Best of luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Inframammary incisions in augmentation

are planned accordingly to the width of your implant and the base diameter of your own breasts.  Often it ends up being below the natural breast fold but after the implant is placed, ends up just above the fold where I consider it ideal since its still covered with bikini tops ride up with arms up in the air and the wire of your bra will not continue to irritate the scar.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I recommend you to consult with your surgeon  what's best in your case. It will be better to do it at the fold level, besides that every surgeon has it's own manner to perform each procedure.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

If you are referring to planning for placement of the incision below the fold at the time of surgery, then I would agree that this is the proper planning for the incision to end up exactly at the level of the fold.  If the incision is placed directly at the level of the fold prior to implant placement, then the incision will end of being on the breast above the fold once the implant is placed.  When the breast skin is stretched from an implant being placed, the skin will become tighter and the skin will elevate, thus elevating the incision into the natural fold.  This is why the proper planning is for the incision to be below the level of the inframammary fold so that when the implant is in, the scar will be just at the fold, thus making it the most inconspicuous scar possible.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fold incision

Thank you for the question and the position of the incision is also a function of the size of the implant and whether the fold needs to be lowered.  Generally if the fold will be in the same position, the incision might be placed slightly above so the bra does not rest on it, but in my practice it is individualized to the needs of the patient.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Incision Not In Breast Fold After Breast Augmentation

The incision usually does start in the breast fold. Sometimes it moves up slightly based on dissection and size of implant. In the end placement "before the fold" can be advantageous as it won't show if you're bikini top rides up a bit. If your scar were right in the crease, the scar would show.   

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Why is incision slighlty higher than the fold

The reason why the incision may be slightly on your breast rather than on the fold is an easy one to explain! We put the incision on the fold preoperatively and then dissect in a superior oblique direction during surgery in order to avoid violating(releasing) the fold. Then when you put the implant in the breast, it stretches up the incision so that it lies about 1 cm above the fold; You may ask, then why not put the incision below the fold so that it ends up in the new fold? The answer is if you start below the fold, you will be more likely to violate the fold as you will dissect through it; it is critical to preserve the fold or you can have a lifetime risk of bottoming out.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS