Which incision location is best for my breast implant removal? (Photo)

I will remove my implants without replacement nor lift and would like to know if infraareolar (below nipple) or inframammary (below breast) is best. My original incision was infraarreolar with 425 cc round implant under the muscle. I want to avoid concave nipples or scar adhesion leading to deformation. Does incision location matter? I am 37 and my implants are 19 years old. I was a full B cup before and expect to be a small C cup. They are too heavy, painful and I want to be natural again.

My recommendation

Do use the same scar, no need to add aditional deformities to your breast. Being true that the first months after explantation you'll have a retraction and shrinking of the scar area, this will spontaneously normalize in a few months. If you the incision at other location (example, the submammary fold) you'll experience the same temporary retraction deformity, which is due to the cavity healing contraction.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Incision selection for implant removal

Thank you for the question and the photos.  It may not make much difference which incision you choose for implant removal.  If you have an incision preference and all that you are having done is having implant removal you may just be able to choose your preference as long as your plastic surgeon is comfortable using that incision. If your implants are silicone and they were placed with a Keller funnel you may benefit from a breast fold incision if taking the implant out via the areola incision would be too difficult.  Similarly if capsule work is done removal via a breast fold incision also may be preferred.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Which incision location is best for my breast implant removal?

The incision I use most frequently for breast implant removal is the infra mammary fold incision. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Inframammary incision

Thank you for your questions and photos.  I prefer the inframammary incision when performing explantations or revision breast surgery for the reasons you outlined.  For more detailed information make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of revision breast surgery (including explantations). Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Best incision for breast implant removal

If I was forced to choose one incision for all breast implant removals, the best incision is the inframammary fold incision (IMF). It provides excellent exposure of the implant and for capsule removal, and the IMF scar is unlikely to end up depressed. I usually recommend, this approach for breast implant removal. The choice is simple if the original breast implant placement was through the IMF, axilla or belly-button.

For implants originally placed through the periareolar scar, this means a new incision, and some patients are understandably reluctant to place new scars on their breasts. Breast implants can certainly be removed through the periareolar scar, and the exposure is also good for both implant and capsule removal. Not having a new scar is the benefit of using the previous periareolar incision, but the likelihood of having a depression at the scar around the nipple is higher.

I have done it both ways, and both will work. Understanding the risk and benefits of each approach is important, and should be individualized. Be sure to discuss both with your plastic surgeon.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

I think you will find the majority of surgeons would prefer the lower incision near the fold to minimize chances of areola deformity from adhesions.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant removal

The previous incision that was used can be used again but has a small chance of scarring with tethering because of contraction.  You will have extra skin that will be sagging due to extra skin and lack of volume and I would recommend a lift at least.

Which incision will give the best results

You will most likely find that this will vary from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon. My preference would be an incision under the fold of the breast which I think would decrease the risk of the dimpling you refer to. I encourage you to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can give you their opinion and recommendations.

Dr. Edwards