I will be undergoing septorhinoplasty soon. I also need balloon sinuplasty but cannot have the balloon done at the same time.

For cost purposes, I am scheduled for an in-office balloon sinuplasty under local anesthetic after my septorhinoplasty. How long should I wait to make sure that my nose is not altered/swelling from the balloonsinuplasty? 6 months? 1 year? can I ensure that my septorhinoplasty results wont be compromised under local anesthesia from the balloon sinulasty if done 1 year later?

Why Not Do the Septorhinoplasty and Balloon Sinuplasty at the Same time?

Both of these procedures could certainly be done at the same time.  This way, you will need to have only one anesthetic and one recovery period. The balloon sinuplasty should not change the shape of your nose.  The swelling from the septorhinoplasty should not affect the results of the balloon sinuplasty.  If you do want to have them done at different times, and are doing the balloon sinuplasty first, you could do the septorhinoplasty at almost any time after the balloon procedure.  If you are doing the septorhinoplasty first, I would wait about 2 months to do the second procedure. Good luck.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Balloon sinuplasty and septorhinoplasty

You should wait 2 months after the septorhino.  At that point, the septum and the nasal bones will not be able to be moved.  However, there should be minimal cost differences with doing the balloon later than with the septorhino.  Perhaps you should get a second opinion by a board-certified surgeon who does both.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

SeptoRhinoplasty and Balloon Sinuplasty

Most patients undergo both SRP (Septorhinoplasty) and balloon sinuplasty at the same time so that they need only one recovery period.  The balloon sinuplasty can be done in the office under local anesthesia.  However, if you choose to do them separately, you can space them out a few months.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in guiding you through this process.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Functional septoplasty, functional endoscopic sinus surgery, and cosmetic rhinoplasty

A septoplasty involves surgery for twisted bone and cartilage that is blocking airflow in the back of the nose, and is done for functional purposes once medical necessity has been documented. Sinus surgery is performed also for functional reasons to remove the polyps in the affected sinuses to permanently open up the sinus cavities. A CAT scan of the sinuses is required to document the extent of the sinus disease.  A rhinoplasty was performed or cosmetic purposes changed the shape of the nose such as shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing the bridge line and were floating in the visual tip. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose  your surgeon very wisely. Most patients undergo  surgical procedures  in the nose under one anesthetic with one recovery period. If you're going to do them separately,  it is probably best to wait a couple months to allow the swelling to subside.