I'm scheduled for a functional septorhinoplasty in 2 weeks but also need to undergo balloon sinuplasty afterwards?

For cost reasons but am planning to undergo the balloon sinuplasty in the office under local anesthesia after my septorhinoplasty procedure. How long should I wait before i schedule my baloon sinuplasty? will it affect the aesthetic results of my nasal surgery or excite the swelling/delay the healing? or cause more scar tissue/swelling? I am afraid it might compromise the aesthetic results of my nasal surgery.

Balloon sinuplasty after rhinoplasty.

Dear vanetzviaan in Orange County:

So apparently you are going to have the balloon sinuplasty in the office under local anesthesia after your septorhinoplasty. Did the surgeon not make a recommendation for how long the intervals should be? This is important. Any reason why it cannot be done at the same time? Generally, when you combine procedures, you save a lot of money. I do not know what your insurance issues are because some of you had may be covered by insurance.

The balloon sinuplasty will have no effect on the appearance of your nose after the surgery, and it should not delay healing. From what I understand, it is pretty straight forward. Do not worry about the influence of the cosmetic surgery on the balloon sinuplasty or vice versa. However, I do think you need to investigate why you want to split the procedures into separate sessions.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Septoplasty/rhinoplasty/sinus surgery

A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose to improve airflow when there is a twisted cartilage and bone locking airflow dynamics. A septoplasty will  not improve the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty is performed  for cosmetic purposes to change the shape of the nose for appearance purposes. Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed when there is polyps located in the sinus cavities that need to be removed. All 3 procedures can be performed under one anesthetic with one recovery period by a double Board certified ENT/ facial plastic surgeon. There is no sense in having 2 separate surgeries since they will need to be performed at least a month apart to allow adequate swelling to subside between the 2 procedures. For more information about all 3 procedures, please see the video and  the link below

Coordinating rhinoplasty and other surgeries and procedures

It is a smart move think ahead and coordinate rhinoplasty with other surgeries and procedures.

It may be another cosmetic procedure or a medically necessary one. Here are a few things to consider.

1. Single anesthesia: one dose of longer general anesthesia is considered better than going to sleep multiple times.

2. Rhinoplasty affects the airway. Your nasal airway will be swollen while recovering. And the anesthesiologist can't put a breathing mask on your face without putting pressure on your new healing nose.

3. If the two procedures need to be performed on separate dates, I would delay the rhinoplasty (elective) until you're healed from the other procedure. 

4. Sinus surgery (fairly common for rhinoplasty patients) can be performed at the same time as rhinoplasty. It can also be performed before the rhinoplasty. I would not recommend sinus surgery after rhinoplasty because the instruments can push and pull on the tip of the nose with potential to change 

It will take extra effort on your part to coordinate between two offices for a mutually acceptable procedure date. I would discuss it with both surgeons to come up with a safe treatment plan for you. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sinus Procedure and Rhinoplasty

It is common to undergo nasal and sinus functional surgery at the same time and under the same anesthesia as primary septorhinoplasty. In my view, depending on your clinical situation, symptoms and exam this makes the best medical sense too. This would include traditional FESS surgery or balloon sinuplasty. Did you inquiry about insurance benefits to cover the cost of your sinus surgery too?

If for whatever reason you choose to have balloon sinuplasty separately, I would consider having the balloon done first. This would avoid any issues or concerns regarding your rhinoplasty recovery and result, which could be needlessly compromised by your sinuplasty done afterwards. 

I would get a second opinion regard your surgical recommendations. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sinus surgery and septorhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and doing both operations at the same time makes the most sense rather then two anesthetics and the potential additional out of pocket expense

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD