I got a breast augmentation 4 weeks ago and my right one has not dropped yet. Will it ever drop? (photos)

I have been doing all of the massaging and wear a bandage over the right one only at night to encourage it down. They are silicone. I hope I do not have anything to worry about. It is not hard, except where the incision is in my crease.

Dropped implants

Early in the postoperative period so follow up with your surgeon. Your upper breast pole looks symmetric on the photograph, so I am concerned that your right breast might be smaller than the left. Were you asymmetric to begin with? Good luck.

Breast Augmentation Asymmetry

Although it is still early, there may be some pre operative asymmetries that account for the tighter lower pole. Regardless, you should know that bands, straps, and implant displacement techniques (massage) have not been shown to improve healing or prevent capsular contracture, so don't get caught up in this misleading endeavor.
Give yourself three months before assessing your results.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant has not dropped

Thank you for your question and photo.  While we often say that the majority of implants settle in the first 4-6 weeks, there are a few patients where the implant takes a bit longer to settle.  Occasionally there can be other issues at play and a revision can be required to allow the implant to settle, but this decision should only be made at month 3 or 4 at the earliest.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I got a breast augmentation 4 weeks ago and my right one has not dropped yet. Will it ever drop

At only 4 weeks post operative you are still healing. Typically it can take 6 week to 3 months for the implant to settle into place and swelling to subside. Your results thus far look great. I recommend continuing to follow up with your surgeon as directed. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

You are still early in your healing phase. Please continue the massage exercises and follow up with your PS. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Breast augmentation 4 weeks ago

Dear newport1
It is not unusual for one side to change shape prior to the other side. Usually it takes around 3 months to see near final results. be patient.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Implant not Dropped

Fortunately you are still early in the process and shouldn't worry.  Most times, the implants on each side drop at various times.  Keep your regular follow up with your surgeons and follow their instructions and you should be just fine.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

That is a very common question. It can take up to 3 months for implants to drop. You are only 4 weeks out so be patient. It can be frustrating but have a close follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Thank you for the photo and question but you are still early post op to be concerned but follow your surgeon's instructions

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Wait longer

You should wait at least 3 months to see if you implant drops, but healing can take up to a year, and many photos are taken several months after surgery. From your photographs it looks as if the right breast is slightly smaller as opposed to sitting and too high in the pocket.  Be patient and follow-up with your surgeon

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon