I tend to get acne scars, am I at a higher risk for scar/hyper pigmentation from Laser Tattoo Removal?

I tend to get acne scars for a while after my acne subsides does that put me at a higher risk of getting scars / hyperpigmentation from a laser tattoo removal ?

Scars/hyperpigmentation with laser tattoo removal

Pigmentation changes and scarring are always a possible side effect of tattoo removal, but it is important to know that the body's chemistry and actions that usually cause acne scars and hyperpigmentation are very different from the body's reaction to laser.  Acne scarring is a chronic condition, and actually the physiologic effects of PicoSure treatments may improve scarring.

The PicoSure laser actually shatters the tattoo ink using trillionth of a second laser light impulses, the ink is then eliminated through your body's natural lymph and other drainage systems.  I always recommend a consultation with a well trained and experienced clinician (look for one with medical licensing) who will discuss your medical history and your expectations as well as realistic results. 

Laser tattoo removal risks

The risks are mainly associated with the type of laser used, the power and settings used, the experience of the provider, your skin type, and the color of the tattoo. It should have anything to do with acne scarring. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Scars and tattoo removal

Acne lesions are different from tattoo ink and tattoo removal.  The fact that your acne causes scarring does not mean that you will get scarring with laser tattoo removal.  In most cases, laser tattoo removal can be accomplished without scarring.  However, scarring as well as hyper pigmentation or hypo pigmentation are always possible side effects.  You should schedule a consultation in an experienced center and have your tattoo evaluated in person.