What is the best over the counter scar and/or stretch mark treatments for post breast augmentation? (Photo)

I would like to prepare myself by buying a scar treatment & stretch mark oil/cream for after my surgery. What seems to bring the best results and help fade scars and stretchmarks? Is anything I can do to better prepare my breasts before surgery in 10 days. My PS told me that stretch marks have to do with genetics and that it is hard to say because everyone's skin reacts differently. I am a 34C/36B going with a 475cc silicone implant.

Best scar medicine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only scar medicine that works is one that has silicone in it. This can be in either a tape/sheet form or a gel that you can rub on your incision. Just call around but I have been told that only the sheet is available at CVS and the gel you can get from your surgeon.

Scar Care

Thanks for your question! I like to recommend Skin Medica Scar Recovery Gel to all of my patients regardless if it's a surgical procedure or just a small dermatological excision. Scars can take about 6 months to a year to fully mature so it's best to begin a treatment regimen shortly after your procedure. Good luck!

Breast augmentation scar treatment

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend for scar treatment to use daily scar creams suchs as Biocornium or silicone strips. Apply high factor sunscreen to the areas when outside and refrain from having them exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. If you are not satisfied with the appearance of your scars after using the creams or silicone strips then you may want to consider having them lasered to further reduce the appearance. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

What is the best therapy for stretch marks and preventing them?

I would strongly recommend ScaRxtape. It is effective in holding and supporting wounds after surgery and after injury as well as being easy to use and reasonable cost! I encourage my patients to begin using it after the steri strips are removed and for about 2-3 months. It only needs to be changed about once per week even with showering and is not messy like the silicone products. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar Therapy Post BA

After breast augmentation, it best to start a scar therapy early in the healing process. Patients who are prone to bad scarring can benefit from using Embrace Active Scar Defense. Many patients utilize bioCorneum, which is a silicone scar gel with added SPF 30 to protect scars from potential sun damage. Silicone is thought to help with hydration and collagen regulation. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding his or her recommendations for you as he or she is your best resource. Good luck in your upcoming procedure!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What is the best over the counter scar and/or stretch mark treatments for post breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question and photograph. You do appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation and should obtain an excellent result.

To answer your question I think the most important factor is where the incision is being made.  The most hidden incision is in the axilla which heals well 99% of the time in my experience.  Another excellent area for scar healing is in the areolar where similarly excellent results are obtained and no postoperative scar treatment is even recommended in my Beverly Hills practice.

I do think that an area of concern is the inframammary scar which sometimes heals well but I have seen many others that were dark, white, elevated or stretched.  I avoid this incision personally for breast augmentation however when I do a full mastopexy or breast reduction I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy to my patients.  This tape can be applied to linear scars after a couple to a few weeks and has proven benefits of reducing but not eliminating the prominence and visibility of scars.  For an inframammary scar I would recommend this treatment.

Best wishes and good luck, enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Scars and Stretchmarks

For your incision, paper tape is all you need.  It mechanically supports the incision, which works better than expensive topical gels/creams. Use it continuously for at least 6 to 12 weeks. There is no remedy for stretchmarks. The only way to treat them is to prevent them, which is simple: make sure you surgeon uses an appropriately sized implant for your anatomy. Additionally, make sure your surgeon uses an inframammary incision, which will decrease your risk for capsular contracture, the most common complication of breast augmentation. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Scar treatments

Thank you for the question and there are many creams that are available and probably from your surgeon.  That said we use Biocorneum and Siligen with our patients

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Check with your surgeon

Once you have selected a surgeon, I would check with her/him.  Many of us are very particular about what goes onto our suture lines.

Ethan Philpott, MD