Will Coolsculpting (laser lipo) work for small areas of loose skin around the hips?

I do not have much fat to lose, as I am an athlete and worked very hard to achieve prominent abs, but I used to be obese, and I do still currently have possible back fat and loose skin on my back and bra bulge area. It's not severe enough to get plastic surgery for (in my opinion) and I already had a Tummy Tuck (with NO lipo) for the loose skin on the front. I know coolsculpting can help with small amounts of fat, but I was curious if it can tighten skin if there is no fat to lose.

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting works by removing stubborn areas of fat and is unfortunately not a skin tightening procedure. All the best, 

Coolsculpting loose skin

Thank you for the question.  Coolsculpting is not a good treatment for tightening loose skin.  Coolsculpting works by permanently removing fat cells.  It then relies on the normal elasticity of your skin to contour to the new shape of that part of your body.  This is not really skin "tightening".  In fact, if Coolsculpting is done on an area of the body with poor skin quality you might actually look worse than before the procedure.  Please consult with an expert on Coolsculpting.  Best of luck! 

CoolSculpting & Loose Skin

Coolsculpting will elimitnate up to 25% of the fat in the area treated.  However, CoolSculpting will NOT tighten the skin in that area.  Consult with a Highly trained CoolSculpting Physcian.

CoolSculpting vs. ThermiRF and other non invasive options for skin tightening

Cool sculpting improves the fat but 20% per treatment, and often requires multiple applicators to be used to get contouring and a few treatments. CoolSculpting does not tighten skin. ThermiRF works by introducing radiofrequency energy under the skin to get long term tightening. I suggest consulting with an expert to see if this is a valuable option for you long term. There are more treatments but pictures are needed to determine what is best.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting for Tightening

Thank you for your question. Coolsculpting is designed for fat reduction. It eliminates on average 25% of the fat cells in the area treated, but it is not a treatment for loose skin. We offer ThermiRF and BodyFX for skin tightening. An in person consultation is best.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Loose Skin

CoolSculpting is a great procedure to reduce stubborn fat bulges, but is not the right treatment for loose skin. We offer ThermiRF to help tighten loose skin and generate collagen.  ThermiRF is a minimally invasive treatment with little to no downtime.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

CoolSculpting for fat reduction and not skin tightening

Great question. I consider CoolSculpting a fat reduction procedure and not a skin tightening procedure. I probably wouldn't recommend it in your case given what you have said but it's always good to get an in person consultation with an experienced provider. 

With regards to skin tightening, there are several noninvasive options that you may consider including Thermi, Ultherapy, and Thermage. 

CoolSculpting Loose Skin

CoolSculpting is a treatment for fat reduction. Though some people may see a slight tightening of the skin, it does not occur for everyone and is not significant enough to label it as a skin tightening treatment in addition to fat reduction. I would suggest an in-person consultation and evaluation. If your issue is mostly loose skin then a treatment like ThermiTight may be better for you. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting versus traditional liposuction

I prefer traditional liposuction which will completely and effectively remove all of your fat spots. Coolsculpting limits removal of fat pads to the size of the paddles and usually requires multiple treatments. Please read more below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD