Should I be concerned about this bruise? Is this the beginning stage of a hematoma? I'm 7 days post breast lift with aug (Photo)

I'm a little paranoid of capsular contracture but am also only a week post op. No pain in left breast but am concerned of bruise being a hematoma. Please advise.

Hematoma after mastopexy

Yes, hematoma after insertion of implants can lead to capsular contracture so you have a very valid question. Based on you photo it does not appear that you have one. Thank goodness. Be sure you follow up with your surgeon soon, but I think you'll be OKBest wishes,Dr K

Appearance under the breast

From what I can from the photo this seems normal for one week post operative. It does not appear to be a hematoma. If you are worries however it is always best to check in with your surgeon, hope this helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Post op augmentation mastopexy

if you are concerned about the bruise, consult your plastic surgeon. An examination is key to a successful outcome.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Bruising After Augmentation Mastopexy

Hello,Your photos are difficult to interpret, but that bruise does not necessarily indicate a hematoma, and in fact looks rather benign.  However, I notice you don't have an inframammary incision, indicating your implant was placed through nipple, which substantially increases your risk of capsular contracture.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

7 days post breast lift

Thanks for your question and photo.  Looks like a normal bruise at this point.  Keep in touch with your PS.  Any question of increased swelling, redness or pain should be reported immediately.  Best of luck.

Should I be concerned about this bruise? Is this the beginning stage of a hematoma? I'm 7 days post breast lift with aug

Thank you for your question. It is more like a bruise than a hematoma the way it looks. I would recommend to talk to your PS.

Bruise

Thank you for the question and that slight ecchymotic area does not represent a hematoma but if concerned see your surgeon.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Seems OK

The photos and swelling/bruising seem to be within the range of normal.
You can email these or call your surgeon for the best response.

Normal bruising postop

Hi, thanks for sharing photos with your question.  An in person examination is required to know for sure, but your bruising looks within the range of normal at this stage, and that breast doesn't look significantly larger-would expect this bruising to resolve spontaneously.  Common strategies to help with bruising and inflammation include topical and oral supplements like arnica, bromelain, etc.  External ultrasound, warm compresses also help, but check with your PS before doing anything.  This bruising will not increase your chances of capsular contracture either.  Good luck!

That looks like a very normal bruise

This appears to be nothing to worry about. It is not uncommon to get a bruise 
after a BA. A hematoma is usually a large collection of blood in the breast 
pocket and you will be able to tell because one breast will be much, much larger
(remember everyone has slightly more swelling on one side compared to the other) 
and will be very painful. 
Hematomas can occur after a BA but are not common because the pressure from the 
implant usually stops any bleeding.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon