clitoral hood reduction pain and swelling. (photo)

i just got labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction done on the 17th. A couple hours after the surgery i was in so much pain i was screaming and crying for hours.Is this normal the swelling is going down on the lips but my clit is so huge and sticking out,I cant close my legs or walk ive requested to call off work for a whole week because i can only stand with my legs spread wide in a squatting posiition.

Pain and Swelling Post-Op

Hello and thank you for your question. By now I certainly hope that the pain and swelling you mentioned have gone down significantly or that your surgeon was able to help with the severity of it right away. Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Hopefully your swelling continues to reduce, and if you are still concerned at all you should be able to see your surgeon right away with questions.

None of this looks normal to me

Because I am not a GYN and I don't perform labia minora amputations that ignore a prominent clitoral hood.
My patients have minimal, minimal pain afterwards, because the incision is tiny and not exposed. I'm not trying to brag, I'm being honest. You will have decreased swelling over time, but you will probably want to have a clitoral hood reduction. Find a different doctor to help you in the future.

Swelling is exceptional

but not usually a cause of major pain in my experience.  Without knowing the details of your procedure and what you started with, its difficult to provide a cause for your pains.  Hopefully by now, your swelling had continued to improve and its tolerable for you.  In my experience, ice is only good for the first 48 hours then its impact on helping with swelling is gone.  But if it makes it feel better, there is certainly no harm to continuing ice packs.  I am assuming you received some narcotics to help with your pain and if not, you should let your surgeon know it should be automatic and if meeting resistance to acknowledge that, you can post your experience on line as most people do not have the pains you had.  And if pain is present, treating it should be a priority.  I'm hopeful you have been in contact with your surgeon about this so you did get some relief eventually.

Curtis Wong, MD

More edema than usual

There is definitely more edema than usual in this area. I am also a bit concerned about the appearance of the tissue at the actual incision site. I would follow the other recommendations listed, but also think you should see your surgeon in the next day or two. 

Pain is from swelling

Hello Kassie,
You should follow up with your surgeon. In the meantime limit your activity, avoid sitting in a "dohnut", and you may find that ice is helpful.
As swelling subsides things will appear better and you'll have less discomfort.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Swelling is to be expected

Hello. Thank you for submitting a photo with your inquiry. You have significant swelling, more than average but swelling is normal and will reduce with time. The amount of pain you have is due in part to the degree of swelling. Ice packs should help but really time is what will help most. Best wishes
~Dr Poucher

Is this clitoral hood swelling and pain normal?

Dear Kassie,

Thank you for writing in with your post-op concerns about swelling around the clitoris and labia and for sharing your photo.  It is normal for many patients to have swelling after labia and hood reduction surgery.  To reduce swelling and pain I recommend to my patients soft ice packs on and off for the first few days after surgery wrapped in a washcloth, Dermaplast numbing and anti-septic spray helps and ibuprofen or extra-strength Tylenol.  Arnica Montana is an herb that helps reduce swelling and bruising post-op and comes as small dissolvable tablets.  Don't stand for long periods of time as that will pull fluid into your pelvis and make you feel achy, more uncomfortable and worsen swelling.  Please contact your surgeon for his/her recommendations and for pain meds for a few days until the swelling and pain reduce if you need them. 

I hope this information is helpful and speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio 

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Clitoral hood reduction pain and swelling.

Thank you for your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your painful recovery.  Unfortunately you have developed significant soft tissue swelling to your labia majora and clitoral hood accounting for your discomfort and inability to stand and walk comfortably.  I would recommend bedrest for a few days with pelvic elevation and cold compresses to help improve your current appearance.  Use of oral arnica and bromelain through oral supplements or pineapple may also prove beneficial.  Hang in there, this can improve quickly if you afford yourself the time off to do so.  

Swollen after labiaplasty

There is significant swelling around the clitoral hood. This is a very sensitive area, but the swelling and discomfort will improve. Avoid prolonged standing, sitting or pressure on the area.