Alar Retraction Caused by Excessive Resection of Hanging Alar / Alar Hooding (Photo)

Asian patient who underwent rhinoplasty with a too big implant, tiplasty, and alar base reduction and trimming of overhanging alar. Surgeon seems to have over-resected bottom part of my alars which were only slightly overhanging. This resulted in alar retraction and too much nostril show. How severe is this? Can composite ear grafts to the nostril rim lower them? Would filler be a feasible workaround? Would downsizing the implant and tip grafts also lower nostril rims and reduce the retraction?

No photo attached

We really need to see some photos to be able to advise on this complex problem - there are no photos attached

Rhinoplasty Recovery

Obtain ing your previous operative note and consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist would be helpful in determining if your diagnosis is indeed correct. It's difficult to give definitive recommendations without the aid of an in-person exam.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty Result

I disagree with your assessment. Your ala are less retracted and flatter. Your nostril aperture are longer though, reflecting the increased tip projection you now have. This in turn gives the illusion that you have more columellar show. I think you have a very nice result with a pleasing appearing nose.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question and I would recommend you get your records and see some experts in the area and get their opinion after a full examination and discussion of a desired result aided by digital photography

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD