Is it possible to achieve a TT scar as low as my current c-section scar for best concealment? (Photo)

I am hoping I can hide my TT scar below my bikini.

Tummy Tuck Scar Placement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the great photos.

You are an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck procedure.  Your TT incision would obviously be longer than your C-section incision, however, it can be as low as your C-section incision.  In fact, the C-section scar will be removed and you would be left with a single scar.

You will also need muscle plication to help with the bulging you are experiencing as well.  There are many critical aspects of this procedure that go without mentioning, but one of the most important for the patient is the scar placement and the umbilicus reshaping.

I would recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon that has a great deal of experience with this procedure.  Make sure you view multiple before and after photos.

Hope that helps.

A scar can be as low as your c-section scar or even lower

but you risk having a vertical scar between that and your belly button.  Depending on your skin laxity, I would suggest you try to get a way with an extended mini-tuck with floating of your belly button down an inch (no scars around the belly button) as this allows a muscle plication from your ribs down to your pubis bone (as in a regular tummy tuck).  If you have a lot of skin laxity above your belly button, then I would suggest giving up your belly button and pulling it down as far as you can (you will have a vertical scar later when its removed) and then reconstruct a belly button later in the office under local.  This avoids the very ugly scar around the belly button and allows maximal skin pull down and the low scar.  Make sure whomever you choose as your surgeon clearly explains what scarring you will have as you don't want to be surprised later.

Curtis Wong, MD

Can my tummy tuck scar be low where my C-section scar is?

In general, an ideal TT scar would sit around where the C-section scar sits (though extend to the sides longer, of course). Based on your photos, it looks like you are a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery along with liposuction of the flanks (love handles). The goals would be to narrow the waist, remove excess skin, improve the belly button appearance, and improve the bulginess of the abdomen, as well as tighten the muscle fascia layer to make a flatter abdomen. In-person exam is the best way to assess the patient and make recommendations. Poorly-designed tummy tucks often leave the scar too high where it is not easily concealed. Best to schedule a few consults with some of the surgeons here responding and be examined in person.

Tim Sayed, MD, MBA, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar considerations: position, length, quality vs Contour goals

Great question frequently posed by slender MMO candidates.  Pics appear to show 1. musculofascial laxity (left profile) which manifests as bulge; 2. skin excess primarily below the umbilicus; 3. some supraumbilical skin excess & crepe, especially above the belly button.  Do consult with BC/PS to agree on a surgical plan, which will satisfy your objective of including the C-section scar within the TT scar. A mini-TT includes repair of the diastasis recti (splaying between the abdominal muscles) and is possible with a short, low scar, however necessarily limits the amount of skin, which can be removed.  The position & appearance of the umbilicus may also appear lower and more "slit like", if the umbilical stalk is not detached.  Umbilical "float" will improve the aesthetics of your belly button but inevitably changes the position of this landmark entry point to the abdomen.  

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Tt scar

Thank you for your photos. Generally speaking, it is expected that the plastic surgeon design the tummy tuck scar below the existing c-section scar so it can be completely removed. There are limitations as to how low a scar can be designed however it appears from  your photos that your scar is likely within a reasonable area that a TT scar can be below. It is best to have an in-office examination during which time the planned incision can be demonstrated. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

@drjohnsonlee

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

How low can I have my TT scar?

I have my patients bring in their smallest underwear or bathing suit and try and put it within that so it is hidden as much as possible!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck incision

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck. We typically place the tummy tuck incision at, or just below your pre-existing abdominoplasty incision. Of course, you will need an in-person consultation to evaluate you for this procedure. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. I suggest that you find a board-certified plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. Be sure to have all of your questions answered during a face-to-face meeting with your surgeon, and review before and after pictures of patients who have had similar procedures. Good luck!

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Texas “Top Doc”

Tummy tuck scar

Only an examination can determine how low the scar can be placed. Often unless there is significant laxity of skin above the belly button, a compromise has to be made as to the position of the scar or the addition of another scar to close the belly button hole. Also, the C-section scar has a tendency to migrate upwards due to the tension in hte closure.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Is it possible to achieve a tummy tuck scar as low as my current c-section scar for best concealment?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although definitive advice would require more information, based on your photograph, you seem to be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.   

Yes, your C-section scar location will likely be an excellent place to place your tummy tuck incision line.  I find that this is best determined during the pre-operative marking session,  with the help will of patients' undergarments or post tummy tuck planned swimming suit.

My best advice: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she can demonstrate lots of examples of outcomes that you would be pleased with. Then, working together you will come up with a good plan, including incision line placement.  Again, in my practice, I often will plan the incision line location (with the help of the patient's swimming suit or undergarment), one or two days prior to surgery. I hope this helps.

Will my tummy tuck scar be as low as my old C-section scar?

In short, yes, your tummy tuck scar will be as low as, if not lower than, your current C-section scar.  In most cases I find that my tummy tuck scar is actually below the old C-section scar, so it is completely removed during the surgery.  Of course the tummy tuck scar will be much longer (it will run from hip bone to hip bone).  But it will be well below the level of underwear or a bikini.  To be sure, bring in the bikini bottoms that you typically wear to your consultation and your surgeon can give you a solid idea about your ability to wear them after your surgery.