Am I a good candidate for a lip lift? (Photo)

I've been getting fillers in upper/lower lips for 5 yrs. I'm confident that I've been injected well, bt believe no filler/technique can achieve what I want. I like my natural shape bt its underneath! I feel the distance btwn my nose/lip is too long. When I open mouth,teeth barely show. Cnsdered bonding on upperteeth to lengthen, bt Id hate to effect my naturalteeth.LipLift before/afters look good.Bt any vids that I've found (only 2) look bad while mouth moves/talks! HairLip like. Doctors, input?

Possible Upper Lip Lift

Hi MyStory30,

It looks from the photos that a conservative lip lift can be done for you, but please stop using fillers at least 6 months prior to surgery. As for the risks associated with the lip lift, or the possibility of an unnatural look on the upper lip when you speak after surgery, it is actually quite normal during recovery, but it usually improves as the trauma from the surgery heals.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift for long upper lip?

Thank you for your question!

Looking at the lovely photographs I can see that you already have good form and volume to your upper lip giving you a pleasant pout. 

A lip lift can reduce overly long lip length particularly in patients with a thin or attenuated upper lips. The lift can also give the impression of an improved lip volume - I don't think that you can easily overdo the volume element so for yourself I would think you could look forward to enhanced balance and proportions in the balance of the lip to the dimensions of the remainder of the face whilst losing the 'hangdog' droop of the lip.

With experienced hand you should be able to achieve an excellent enhancement.

best wishes

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift for long upper lip?

Thank you for asking about your lip lift.

• Your photo of your mouth at rest strongly suggests that you are a good candidate for a lip lift.
  • This can be done with local anesthesia in the office with sutures out at 5 days.
  • Done properly, the local anesthesia is not painful. You will be visibly swollen for a week.
  • To get a natural result, it is usually best to not reduce the lip more than 25% which will probably be plenty for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip lift

Thank you for your pictures! It is great to see where you at, where you were, and where you would like to be.  That being said, based on your pictures, a modified lip lift procedure to improve your lip volume certainly is possible - all while decreasing the amount of space between your upper lip and nose, keeping things looking very natural.  You have some wiggle room based on your smiling picture for advancement and improvement.  That being said, a modified lip lift, even done under local anesthesia, is still a surgical procedure with stitches, swelling and scarring that can take a few weeks to completely heal. I suggest during your consultations you spend some time talking to the docs about all these issues and concerns such that you can make the best decision possible.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are you a candidate for a lip lift?

Based on your photos and the specific concerns that you've voiced, it does seem like you're a good candidate for a surgical lip lift. The procedure itself can be done with local anesthesia in the office, but it's important to appreciate that it IS a surgery, though minor. This means that there are stitches after surgery, a period of recovery, and a scar. While in the vast majority of cases, the scar heals very well and is almost invisible, there is always the possibility that you will be unhappy with some aspect of the resultant scar. I suggest that you consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons before making your decision.

Dara Liotta, MD