Am I a good candidate for facelift? Or would I benefit better from other options? (Photo)

I am interested in getting surgery to rejuvenate my face as I noticed a tired, deflated look especially around my cheek bones. When I pull the side of my face up a bit I appear much more refreshed looking. I am not interested in temporary fillers but have read into fat transfer, I am just not sure if that will be what I need. I know at 29 a facelift may seem unreasonable but does it look like an option? And what are some average costs and recovery times for recommended procedures?

Candidate for Volume Loss Replacement through Fat Transfer or Dermal Fillers

Facelift does not appear to be a good option for you. Replacing volume loss through either fat transfer or fillers would be an appropriate first step. A good medical skin care line such as obagi may also be useful in addressing the texture, tone, and quality of your skin. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Advances in facial rejuvenation

Fortunately, you have many options to address the issues you bring up. Fat transfer is one of them, and I think you might be a good candidate for that.

It's not your age that makes the difference, rather your photo (though a bit limited, mainly as it does not show your jawline) suggests to me that the facelift is not the procedure for you. 

See a plastic surgeon in consultation, and don't rule out fillers yet. (Look into Scultpra, for example, which has longer lasting results after several injections.) Definitely consider fat grafting/transfer.

Last, give yourself credit for the youthfulness of your face. I can see it, and a good plastic surgeon will help you to do that, as well as offering you ways to improve things you really want to address. 

Face lift, fat transfer, both?

Thank you for your question about your face lift.

Research shows that women's faces do start to age in the mid-20s.
The question is - what will serve you best?

You are from Southern California - my experience is that women from high-sun areas tend to get more facial thinning faster than women in colder climates.

I have done mini-face lift and full face lifts in women of 30 - with nice results.
But your face appears above all to have lost volume.
Have a consultation with a plastic surgeon about fat transplants and a face lift but my first preference for you would be facial fat injections, topical skin care and year-round protection from the California sun.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes.

Facelift or other options

Based on your photo, your face is showing some early signs of aging with loss of facial volume and some tissue settling. 

Options to reverse this process include increasing volume to the midcheek area with possibly a midcheek lift and/or filler or implants.  Fat can work well here either alone or with lifting.  Keep in mind, however, that as time passes, further deflation will continue and so you will likely need maintenance treatment in order to maintain the result.

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would advise fillers over facelift in this particular case.

From the limited information in the photograph I don't think a facelift is indicated in this particular time. You might want to explore fillers as a way to establish a more youthful look.

Facial Rejuvenation

There are several options to rejuvenate the face depending on what you are looking to achieve.  Fat transfer is used to revolumize the face but if tightening of the skin is needed there are minimally invasive procedures that can achieve this with minimal/no scarring vs. facelift.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also be used to visualize what you may look like as well as serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Am I a good candidate for facelift? Or would I benefit better from other options?

Based on your photo you may need more mid face volume rather than a facelift which will not add volume to the face. Fat transfer is a more permanent option. However the new filler Voluma can last two years. I always recommend trying a filler first to see if you like the effect before doing somethiong permanent.

Am I a good candidate for a facelift? Or would I benefit from other options?

Based on your photo it is hard to tell what you may or may not need. It is always best to get a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what your best options are.  Fillers are a good option but again, it would be best for you to get a consultation.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Better photos are needed to for a recommendation.  Based on the photo you have shared, you may benefit from fillers, and possible fat transfer to fill in the hollow area.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your goals.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

No facelift at this time

Based on the 1 picture you've submitted, you do not seem to be a facelift candidate at all.  Your best bet is to try fillers such as Voluma or Radiesse to the cheeks which will improve the roundness of your cheeks along with providing a "lift" to some degree.  You may also want to consider Restylane for the tear troughs, but it's difficult to tell from your picture.  Please consult a plastic surgeon face to face.  Good luck!

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon