6 months post TT. When or will the swelling in my lower abdomen go away? (Photo)

I'm over 6 months post TT. I have a bulge above my scar. It's extremely hard. Before my tummy tuck I was able to wear garmets to flatten my tummy but nothing works now. I still can't fit into my clothes because it's so puffy. Is this normal?

Doctor Answers 4

Hard to tell

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should see your surgeon to determine the issue. It is possible to have swelling of the abdominal flap above the scar due to edema that drains by gravity but can't initially drain below the scar line. It could take 6-1 months for your body to adequately drain edema. Firm areas of your abdominal flap could also be a host of things including sutures, fat necrosis or chronic fluid pockets (seromas), so it's important to see your surgeon in person to examine you and determine if there is an issue.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Bulge after tummy tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. The issue that you are having is probably difficult to see/demonstrate in photos and it is hard for me to see. A lot of things continue to change over the course of healing, but your best option is always to talk with your surgeon to get their opinion. 

I hope this helps. Best wishes

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 17 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question but an examination is really needed so see your surgeon and get his opinion 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

You might also like...

Bulge above abdomen after tummy tuck/abdominoplasty.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is very difficult to see what you're talking about from your photo. Also, an exam is certainly necessary. That said, contour changes may take up to year to settle in after the separation.Have you been in touch with your doctor about this concern? I recommend running it by them.

It is imperative that you seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in tummy tuck/abdominoplasty.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.