200-265 range question. (photos)

Hi, I am wondering on what you would advise to do with my breasts. I am 5'6" and 120 lbs. I am athletic and a runner, and want a very natural looking breast where no one would know. I am 37 and have 2 kids, and currently a 34 B, and do not like the shape of my breasts. I had a previous augmentation and took them out 6 months later because I hated how they looked. They were saline, 300 cc unders.

Breast implants 200-265 range question.

I think that placing conservatively sized implants is in your best interest but would like to know what it was that you disliked about the results of your past surgery to try to avoid a repetition!  Going too large is always an error but so is going too small with your implant selection so discuss your preferences carefully with your surgeon.  I think that you're a very good candidate for placement of round smooth cohesive mid-plus profile implants.  Discuss your choices carefully with your plastic surgeon after a face-to-face consultation.  Good luck and enjoy your results. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Hated breast augmentation

If you hated your breasts before, you are not going to like them again. Please consider having a breast augmentation with simultaneous lift; this will allow your surgeon to provide you symmetric breasts that are shapely with appropriate medial cleavage and upper pole fullness. A consultation will help you appreciate your potential and appropriate implant size.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hello,Knowing you didn't like 300 cc saline implants, we now know a size and type of implant that won't work for you! This is good, because no one should get saline implants anymore. Either a round smooth or form stable and shaped silicone gel implant will work nicely for you, with the exception of Natrelle's Inspira line of implants, which are designed to look like saline implants. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in all aspects of cosmetic breast surgery.  You should find someone who feels comfortable placing small implants (less than or equal to 200cc), as I have a feeling that will work nicely for you.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Redo Breast Augmentation with shaped Implants.

Hi Sunshine, Thanks for your question and photos. I think that shaped(teardrop) implants would give you exactly what you are looking for! A natural shape that looks more symmetrical. I would place the implants under the fascia or covering of the muscle to help prevent animation deformity and avoid the area where you previously had surgery from your saline implants. It seems that you may need different sizes. See if you can get a consultation with a plastic surgeon that offers 3D imaging.  I recommend getting several options from board certified plastic surgeons! Good Luck.   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #breastaugmentation #asymmetries Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Best breast implants/operation for me?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  It will be very important that you  communicate exactly "what you do not like" about your breasts when you discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon.  also, communicate what you did not like with your previous breast augmentation surgery; in other words, what motivated you to remove them. All of this information will be helpful to your plastic surgeon when it comes to determining whether or not to recommend any breast surgery (and if so what operation and what type of breast implant) would best accomplish your goals.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

What can I do to make my breasts look better?

On the photos you do have droopiness of your breasts as well as they are different. So, I would recommend one of the various types of uplifts that I do and then position the implant probably on the top the muscle so you don't get that unnatural bulge on top. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the photo and short history and I would go on complimentary consults with experts in your area and become informed what might give you the best result
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD