Definitely would like to do silicone, but is there something that would make it this soft to touch as seen on photo 2? (Photo)

Definitely would like to do silicone, full size B, but is there something that would make it this soft to touch as seen on photo 2? Photo 1 is mine now.. would like to look like photo 2

Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question and for sharing an appropriate picture. The softness that you are looking for can be achieved by a silicone implant. These feel the most like breast tissue and will give you a very natural result. Obviously the bigger the implant, the more prominently you will feel it. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and undergo Vectra 3D Imaging to "try on" different implants and discuss your goals. Breast of luck! 

Definitely would like to do silicone, but is there something that would make it this soft to touch as seen on photo 2

As long as you do not develop a capsular contracture, the softness you desire should be there. Placing the implant in a dual plane location has the lower risk of capsular contracture compared to over the muscle

Julio Garcia, MD

Soft breasts after augmentation

Thank you for the photos and the question.

Based on your breast photos you should expect to obtain a beautiful result. Your volume is good as is the quality of the breast skin and the relationship of the nipple position to the breast fold.

All of these factors are important when deciding upon breast augmentation and which implants to chose. Silicone implants are the softest of the implants and feel most like natural breast tissue. We have to distinguish between standard cohesive gel, which are the round smooth devices and the newer form stable or gummy bear which are a bit firmer. Both however are superior to saline in terms of how they feel.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for a formal consultation to answer further questions and help with your decision.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Definitely would like to do silicone, but is there something that would make it this soft to touch as seen on photo 2?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Most women seek extremely soft natural feeling results from breast implant surgery and if you heal well your greatest chance for a natural result in my opinion comes with the use of silicone gel implants.  There is however the risk of capsule contracture in all patients which is accepted if you decide to proceed with surgery.  We can reduce the risk of capsule contracture but probably not eliminate it.  For example placing implants in a partial subpectoral position as well as the use of a Keller funnel seem to give us the best result in my experience.  I also feel it is important to avoid activity or medications that increase the risk of bleeding during the first six weeks of capsule formation.  Consquently I instruct my patients on physical restrictions and massage exercises that I think are helpful.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Soft Breast Implants

Breast implants vary in softness so have your surgeon show you some different examples. The implant that is placed in you will retain its original softness for as long as you have it, the implant does not change. It is the scar tissue (we call it the capsule) your body makes around the implant that can occasionaly tighten thus making the breast feel stiff. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question.  We have excellent breast anatomy and should be able to achieve a very nice result after breast augmentation.  Silicon gel implants when properly done with an uncomplicated result should be soft and movable as shown in your desired photo.

Your most important decision is your choice of plastic surgeon.  Be certain to choose an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience and cosmetic breast surgery.

When your photo it appears your right breast may be larger than the left.  Understand that 88% women have asymmetrical breasts so you are normal if there is an asymmetry.  But it is important for you to discuss this with your surgeon before surgery and ask if a larger implant needs to be used on the smaller side.  For more information please read the link below:

Definitely would like to do silicone, but is there something that would make it this soft to touch

• Good question.  Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.   Most patients undergoing this procedure end up with "soft" outcomes, barring complications such as excessive scar tissue formation (encapsulation).
  • Generally speaking, much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” and feel will be optimal.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities.

I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.

• 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

• 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “full size B cup” etc.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

• I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

What is softer, silicone gel breast implants or saline?

Actually, the softness is a function of not only the breast implant but how your body reacts to it, namely forms the capsule around it. Some of the gummy bear implants themselves tend to be firmer to begin with also. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant Softness

People and surgeons confuse implant softness with the implant material. This is erroneous. The most important factor which determines how soft your implants feel is the scar tissue or capsule you form around it. That is why it's so important to minimize your risk for capsular contracture; this also maximizes the potential for a soft, pliable capsule and a soft feeling implant. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and softness

Thank you for your photos. It is definitely possible to have a silicone gel implant and to have soft natural results as seen in the photo. It is important that the surgery technique used minimizes your risk of capsular contracture or a thick scar capsule from forming to keep the implant soft. Also, your reasonable goal of a full size B is more likely to create soft feeling implants. Larger implants tend to make the breasts feel more dense as tissue is stretched tighter around the implant. It is important to have an in-office examination to determine the best pocket placement, implant size, and implant style to achieve your goals. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician