What is my perfect implant size range?

Hi I am currently 5'3 weighing 105 lbs and would like to get from an A cup to a D cup and my doctor suggested 420cc ultra high profile considering my chest diameter is 11.7. However I am afraid it might give a more fake appearance although he assures me otherwise. To be on the safe side, is there any way I can achieve a D cup with a high profile implant?

Breast Implant Sizing

Thank you for all the details that you have provided.  Obviously, an actual examination is always best, but will try to shed some light here.The first thing that I would say is to focus on the look more than the cup size.  It is really very difficult to predict what particular cup size ones breast will be after surgery.  There are too many variables and too many bra manufacturers to predict this.  If one looks at the final result in appearance more than cup size, there will be less disappointment at the end.  In my office we spend a great deal of time on sizing as it is critical to getting the patient desired outcome.  As far as different profile of implants:  it is well documented that the higher profile implants tend to stretch the nipple to crease distance more so than the lower profile implants and tend to give the "bottoming out" or "excessive lower pole stretch" look to the breasts over time.  Also, the higher profile implants tend to look "less natural" than the lower profile implants.  Something to consider.Hope that gives you a good starting point.Good luck.

Breast Implant Size Choice

It is not possible to predict or promise a bra cup size because there are no standards for sizing between manufacturers. Typically, a smaller framed person with a narrow ribcage will require less volume to achieve each cup size. Rather than focussing on that I recommend that you try on the implants sizers which fit your measurements with a form fitting T-shirt in the office. My patients find that this is a good way to get an idea of the look you will achieve. Different volumes will produce different results for different bodies.All the best

Breast implant size

cup sizes vary between manufacturers. It is really best to try on the implants and determine what size and style look best on you.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Don't push the limits

Pamela, you should discuss with your plastic surgeon what he feels will comfortably fit into the pocket he will dissect, still have room for the implant to move around so the breast does not end up feeling rock hard, and still leave you with a natural looking breast.    Given your relatively small stature, going from an A to a D is a stretch if you want to still look and feel relatively normal.

Perfect Implant size range

Cup size is impossible to predict.  You should be looking at the kind of shape you want.  An UHP implant will make you more round than a high profile implant and all of this will depend upon how much breast tissue you have.  I think you are on the right track looking at your BWD and the UHP implant will give you more of the fake looking as you are suggesting.  

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What is the perfect implant size

There is no answer to your question because implant size will depend on many factors, such as; height, weight, age, shape and size of your natural breast, breast diameter and whether you desire to be on the small or fuller size in a bra.  Also, bra size does not relate to how full you will look afterwards, as bra sizes vary widely depending on the manufacturer.  One thing you can say is a 420cc for you will put you on the full size. 

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

You have good questions and concerns.   During your consultation, you will have an examination which will help determine an implant size that fits your breast diameter.   Then a sizing bra will help to you and your surgeon to determine which size gives the best shape to your body frame.   Hopefully, the sizes are similar.   Your surgeon will discuss the pros and cons of using silicone verses saline and shapes of implants.   

Kenneth Sumida, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast implant size

Hello Pamela and thank you for your question! I want to start off by telling you what I tell many of my patients: Do not focus on cc's or bra sizes as many women see their friend with "x" number of cc implants etc and think that they have an idea of what they want. Remember that cup sizes can be misleading as a 38B = 36C = 34 D = 32 DD... 

There is a lot that goes into implant selection -- your breast volume, the amount of cleavage you want to achieve, your base width, your rib shape/projection, etc. Also, when it comes to bra sizes, most women are not accurately sized for their bras. Please keep in mind that a breast implant is a round object and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon. There is no correlation between height and weight and base width; therefore you need an in person examination to be accurately measured, but I have operated on women with "your build" and achieved the kind of results they were hoping for when they followed the advice below: The most important thing to consider is really the size and look that is appealing to YOU with the implants you choose. Many surgeons have sizing models whether using bras with implants or computer simulation. I encourage you to discuss with your surgeon many of these considerations when deciding which implant and size to use during your surgery. My patients will try on a sports bra and then we pick the implants based on their measured breast base width. For example, if your base width were to support for example up to a 400cc implant, I would have you try on the 400cc implants in the bra and then the 385cc or 350cc implants and afterwards select the implant that made YOU the happiest. In reality, don't stress too much as this is not a HUGE difference and should be the fun part of the process. Go with what is acceptable based on your measurements and makes you happiest, and make sure to weigh the pros and cons of the options you are considering. You can also compare the high profile with extra high profile implants and see which  look you like most. The profile of the implant will determine how much upper pole fullness and overall projection you portray.  Usually, the extra high profile implants give a much higher projecting and faker appearance. If you were my patient, I would have you try on implants of both styles and see what shape and size made you the happiest.

Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery. If you are uncertain about the advice given to you by the surgeon whom you met with recently, I recommend you seek second opinions with further consultations to help you in making a final decision. I hope this helps answer your questions and I wish the best of luck to you!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Cup size

Thank you for the question and cup sizes vary all over the map so choose the volume on your chest that you like and then have your surgeon pick the best shaped implant for that volume
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD