If the implant is under the muscle, will it still ripple or become palpable? (Photo)

I don't think the implant is under the muscle my PS isn't quite cooperative. He's tell me that it's capsular contracture but I can literally feel the implant. It feels like water bed. It feels like plastic. I got a second opinion and was told it's not capsule. Without even mentioning what my issue was he said "the implant is under the muscle" and how he didn't want to operate on me again because I don't heal well. What's next I feel like i got this done in someone's basement except I paid $10k.

Implants under the muscle can and do still ripple

as rippling is primarily a function of implant size to amount of tissue coverage.  Its really hard to appreciate what you are trying to show us with the photo provided.  A contracture will make your breast firm and eventually lead to some visible distortion.  If your surgeon will not cooperate with you, you can always vent on the many social media sites out there, including this one.  But you must stick to the facts when writing such reviews,  Most ethical and caring surgeons will want the best outcome for their patients as your results are a direct reflection of your surgeon's ability.  If you go elsewhere, you will have to get copies of your records and clarify what you mean by 'not healing well'.

Hello. Thank you so much for sharing your concerns. It is possible to feel the implants even if it was done underneath the muscles. It could be due to thin muscles and tissue, but this should be discussed with your doctor. It seems as though your doctor is not communicating openly with you, so I suggest seeking other medical advice and examination from a board-certified surgeon who has had extensive experiences. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Submuscular implants may still be palpable under the muscle

Sorry that you are having trouble after your surgery. Yes, your implants may still be palpable even if they are under the muscle. Saline implants are usually more palpable than silicone, but both can be felt especially on the outer side of the breast. The muscle typically covers the medial (inner) side, but the lateral side has very little tissue to cover and that's why you can feel the implant on a thin patient. Contact any of us that are board-certified and we can help you determine what the problem may be. Best of luck.Dr K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Breast deformity

It seems that your implant is not under the muscle and/or you had a tear of your capsule such that your implant is herniating out. You will have to get this fixed and will require repair of your capsule if it under the muscle or replacing the implant from over to under your muscle. A physical examination can help determine what the problem is.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Palpable implant

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your results.  It is possible to feel the implant even if it's under the muscle, but it sounds like your surgeon has not been communicating openly with you.  I'd recommend a consult with a reputable Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  He/She would be able to examine you and discuss your concerns.  Best of Luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

If the implant is under the muscle, will it still ripple or become palpable?

Hard to tell from the picture you provided. But, if you are thin and have thin tissue coverage on top, implants can still be palpable under the muscle. Best to see another board certified plastic surgeon who takes the time to examine and evaluate you in person so you can figure out what's going on. Good luck!! 

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  Yes,  it is possible (even with breast implants in the sub muscular position) to see or feel them in certain locations.  Remember that breast implants are generally not completely sub muscular.   The most common areas where patients feel breast implants are along the lower poles (under surface of the breasts) and along the sides (rib cage area).

I would suggest that you communicate your concerns again directly with your plastic surgeon;  if communication remains difficult,   second opinion consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in the area may be helpful.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant rippling/palpability concerns,  helpful.  Best wishes.