Dorsal hump removal. Will my tip also swell up?

I am looking to have my slight dorsal hump removed and i was advised i would need to have osteomosis done also. I was advised that my tip didnt need to be touched. The question i have is that i know there will be swelling but if there is only a hump removed and no work done on my tip will my tip also swell up for up to a year as i have read? The other question is will this cause scar tissue and cause my nose to look wider around the tip? I've seen pics and all seem to wider after surgery.

Swelling Should Not Be That Dramatic

It's true that it can take up to a year for to nose to fully heal and settle into its ultimate position, but that doesn't mean your nose will look unnaturally swollen or bruised for an entire year. The amount of swelling (if any) on your nasal tip is dependent on the technique your surgeon uses — for example, an open versus closed rhinoplasty. In any case, I wouldn't anticipate significant swelling in your nasal tip.

Dorsal hump removal

Without a photo, it is difficult say what things you may need done.  However, the swelling of the tip will depend on whether any work is done on it and how it is done (open vs. closed).  In the end, you can expect to have at least some swelling of the tip. Good luck~

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump Reduction and Osteotomies

Dear Puneetlathia, Your surgeon can answer all of your questions or concerns since he/she knows best exactly what procedures are going to be performed and what approach and techniques that are going to be used during your surgery. With that said, if you are simply having a dorsal reduction and osteotomies you should have minimal swelling in your tip that will dissipate quickly. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

You certainly could have the hump reduced and osteotomies to narrow the nose and leave the tip alone - without having much if any swelling of the tip. If the tip does swell it wouldn't be much or last long.

Fred Suess, MD

Tip Swelling after Just Nasal Hump Removal

The severity and duration of tip swelling will be minimal if the operation is limited to just a hump removal even if cartilage is contributing to the fullness of your profile. please send me examples of all those patients who had a wider tip after just hump removal.

Swelling varies from patient to patient and is also dependent on the technique used, whether it is an open or closed approach to the rhinoplasty.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and the amount of swelling you will have is technique dependent.  So choose your expert carefully and become informed about the. various techniques.  

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Dorsal hump reduction rhinoplasty without tip surgery

In some instances, it is possible to only remove the dorsal hump without any tip surgery.  Osteotomies are almost always required after the dorsal hump removal which accomplishes closing the open roof which is created from the hump removal.  The tip of the nose will still have some swelling due to gravity, but less  Swelling because no tip surgery was performed.    The overall healing process will be shorter than if tip surgery was performed.  Rhinoplasty is a difficult  endeavor, so choose your Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience with the procedure.   For many examples of dorsal  hump removal, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty and post-operative swelling

Every patient will have some post-operative swelling after nose surgery; some have more than others, and important factors contributing to swelling are age, gender, genetics, diet, and extent of dissection and surgical maneuvers, among others.  If your surgery truly involves only a dorsal hump takedown and osteotomies, you should expect to have some swelling (and perhaps bruising) around the nose, cheeks, and upper lip.  The majority of this resolves in the first 1-2 weeks.  If your surgery involves lifting the skin of the nose off the tip, and tip-narrowing maneuvers, the nasal tip will stay swollen for a few months; that being said, most patients are quite presentable at the one week post-operative mark, even with some nasal swelling in place.  

In terms of tip narrowing, this is a decision best made by you and your surgeon.  I recommend viewing the nose as a whole structure, where all the parts--nostrils, tip, bridge--have to be in harmony--for a favorable result.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump removal

Thanks for your question. It really depends more on how the work is done rather than what is done. If your doc is planning on doing everything by incisions inside your nose- a closed approach-, you shouldn't really need to deal with the tip swelling issue. If the work needs to be done with an open approach- an incision across the base of your nose- then you will definitely have tip swelling. 

Either way, you shouldn't really have to deal with scar deposition causing your tip to look abnormally wide. I proabably do 80% of my rhinoplasties using an open approach and have never had to deal with scarring making tips look wide. Check out my photo gallery link for someone who had a hump reduced through a closed approach.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon