Considering the things I would like to change about my nose, would it require open rhinoplasty or closed rhinoplasty? (photos)

After having non-cancerous thyroid and heart tumors removed, my breathing still has not improved. In addition to septoplasty, I would also like to change the cosmetic appearance of my nose by getting rid of the dorsal hump and straightening out my nose from a frontal view as it tends to lean left. In addition to those changes, I would like to make the sides of my nose less wide and potentially fix the slight droop of the tip.

Open vs. closed rhinoplasty

Based on what you've stated, you will need a septorhinoplasty.  The goal of your surgery should be to improve your nasal breathing, if you indeed have an anatomical blockage inside your nose, and to improve the appearance of your nose.  This can be achieved through either closed or open approaches.  Many factors are used to decide whether open or closed is better.  One of the factors is your own anatomy; an open approach may give significantly better visualization for the surgeon.  I recommend that you seek a surgeon who can thoroughly discuss with you your goals.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open vs. closed rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open vs Closed septorhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and the photos. There are advantages and disadvantages to each technique. Open rhinoplasty allows better visualization of nasal structures, and easier way to correct nasal deformities. The main downsides are longer swelling of the nasal tip and the scar in the columella. The scar usually heals well and in many cases is barely visible. For the closed technique there is no columella scar and and the less swelling at the tip after surgery, however, visualization f nasal structures is not as goos as the open technique. 

The first step for you is to choose the right surgeon. You can check the American Society of Plastic Surgery for board certified plastic surgeon. Check his/her before and after photos. You can also ask to speak to patients who had rhinoplasty.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Open vs Closed septorhinoplasty

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Open rhinoplasty

All those things can be achieved with rhinoplasty. I choose open rhinoplasty because I see all the structures that need correction and I can precisely change them. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in nose surgery.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Open rhinoplasty

Susan Kaweski, MD

Do I need to have an open rhinoplasty?

No, you do not need to have an open rhinoplasty with scar on outside. Most everything can be done very nicely through cuts only inside the nose(closed rhinoplasty)! The open rhinoplasty also causes prolonged swelling of the tip of the nose as well as the scar may be obvious! 

Do I need to have an open rhinoplasty?

Open vs. closed

As with so many procedures in plastic surgery, there are several options for treating your concerns.  Many only know how to do open or closed nasal surgery, often based on their initial training in residency.  Both techniques have many advocates, and I use both approaches depending on the individual aspects of each patient, including the skin quality, scarring history, goals, and specific techniques required.  Your goals as outlined are very reasonable, and should be achievable.  The decision on which approach is optimal for you should only be made in person with a full discussion and examination.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Open vs. closed

Open Rhinoplasty

Given the many changes that need to be done to your nose, the open rhinoplasty offers the most predictable result with a lower risk of the need for revisional surgery.

Open Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty Technique

Either an open or closed rhinoplasty can accomplish your desired results.  It really depends on the surgeon, with many older, more senior surgeons more willing to do it closed, and younger surgeons doing it open. This is of course a generalization, and one of the greatest proponents of open rhinoplasty, Jack Gunter, has recently retired.

I come from the school that believes that open rhinoplasty can accomplish more, and do so more easily than closed.  The purported downside of a visible scar just hasn't been an issue in over 500 open rhinoplasties, having had to revise less than a handful. 

Rhinoplasty Technique

Open vs Closed

Thank you for the question and he desired changes can be obtained through an open or closed approach in the hands of an expert in the field.  So go on some complimentary consultations, be evaluated, compare photos and fees and find your surgeon.

Dr. Corbin

Open vs Closed

Dr. Corbin

Open V Closed Rhinoplasty

In the majority of the cases an open approach is best.  The major difference to you is a small scar across the skin between your nostrils.  The changes can be made more accurately when you are looking at the structures to change and they can be stabilized better.  Hard to argue about doing something by feel when you can do it by sight and feel.

Open V Closed Rhinoplasty

Open or closed rhinoplasty for a more attractive and feminine nose?

Open or closed rhinoplasty for a more attractive and feminine nose?  All the items you mentioned can be corrected by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. The surgeon's ability to do both open and closed rhinoplasty and produce a natural looking nose is what you should be looking for.  Look at the surgeons results and read reviews of his patients