What Are Other Options/surgeries to Fix Diastasis Recti Besides Tummy Tuck?

Active 33 years old, male. I have diastasis recti. I am 145 pounds, 31 inch waist, 5 feet 6 inches. What are other options/surgeries to fix diastasis recti besides tummy tuck? Thanks

Diastasis recti

If you do not have excess skin, then I have repaired the separation almost endoscopically through a small cut in pubic hair area as well as in the belly button. Iy you do not want surgery at all, you should look into the Tupler method of diastasis repair. Watch my videos.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rectus Diastasis Repair are usually fixed optimally with aTummy Tuck

Rectus Diastasis may be repaired endoscopically with a very small incision. The success of this repair however depends on the extent of the diastasis itself. The condition of the surrounding tissue may also determine the outcome of this repair. 

The quality and the longevity of the endoscopic repair may be dependant upon these factors. The repair when combined with a tummy tuck , I believe ,offers a more direct ant confident repair. I f there is no associated skin laxity now, it is probably safe to say that there will be in due time simply based on the mechanical effects of the weakness(Rectus Diastasis) on the abdominal wall.

Nick Masri, MD

Options for diastasis recti- fully tummy tuck vs. small incision options

When women have minimal skin looseness, it is possible to do the entire repair through a C-section type incision (hybrid tummy tuck), enabling a small removal of skin that almost all women require. 

It is also possible to "float" the umbilicus, gaining easier access to the upper abdomen but this does of course involve an incision around the umbilicus.

A full tummy tuck incision is also possible but the incision will be considerably longer and higher.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Procedure for Diastasis Recti

Diastasis Recti Repair can be done endoscopically for minor separations, this is no longer as popular of a procedure as there is a tendency for midline redundant skin unless there is wide undermining. When done as a Tummy Tuck, the surgery consists of bringing the Rectus Abdominis muscles together by suturing (sewing) the inside edges of the muscle fascia together. I have found that it makes no difference if the suture material is absorbable or permanent, and typically I perform a two layer repair to insure that the correction is secure. Single layer closures may have a higher tendency of dehiscence (separation) that would require reoperation for repair.

#diastasisrecti

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Rectus diastasis is fixed surgically

You can exercise all you want but the gap between the muscles will not close.  The only way to do this is with surgery.

Rectus Diastasis in a 33yo Male

First, you need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to see if you have a rectus diastasis or an abdominal wall hernia.  If you indeed have a true diastasis, then an endoscopically assisted plication would be an option.  If you have excess skin and fat in your lower abdomen, then a tummy tuck may also be an option.

Non- tummy tuck options for diastasis recti (abdominal muscle separation)

Non tummy tuck options for diastasis recti: external girdle-like garment, fiberoptically assisted plication through limited pubic, umbilical or ches crease incisions, laparascopic endocorporeal plication.

Fixing a weak abdominal wall

Rectus diastasis (weakened abdominal wall) is typically addressed at the time of a tummy tuck.  If you are concerned about having the scar from a tummy tuck, then you can have the muscle alone tightened through small incisions done endoscopically. If you also have loose abdominal skin however, you may benefit overall from the tummy tuck procedure.  You should consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons to review your options and to have a comprehensive examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Diastasis recti

These could be corrected through smaller incisions.Perhaps they could be done through an endoscope where small incisions are made, ascope placed and the sutures tied.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis repair can be performed without abdominoplasty

Repair of the diastasis rectus can be perfomred without abdominoplasty.  Small incisions made above the pubis and around the umbilicus can be used to reapproximate the abdoominal wall muscles.

Marisa Lawrence, MD