What is the Best Option for Angry and Hostile Look? (Young Asian Male)

I'm an Asian male in late 20's. I've already had double eyelid surgery done with non-incision DST method few years ago. My main concern is that my eyes look angry and hostile. I've talked to my doctor who's done DST procedure on me. He recommends medial epicanthoplasty. I'm wondering if medial epicanthoplasty would alleviate my issue.

Doctor Answers 5

Addressing and softening an angry appearance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Besides surgical options you may want to consider Botox to your glabella (frown lines between your eyebrows).  Furrowing this area is one of the key facial expressions indicating anger or hostility, so relaxing this muscle may help you to reduce this look.  

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Medial epicanthoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


It would be best to listen to the advice of your physician, as he/she knows the extent of your initial surgery and exactly what was performed. Medial epicanthoplasty should help with your issue, but I would really need to see additional photos to give you further advice. Thank you very much for the question, and good luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Angry frown or angry eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear TheEyes:

Thank you for including a photo. Usually an angry expression comes from a combination of muscle motions. Not only the muscles around the eye are involved. Muscles in the brow play an equally important roll. I cannot see your eyebrows in the photo, so it is hard to put the entire picture together.

Since muscle motion plays such an important roll, Botox or Dysport treatments are a way to selectively inhibit muscle motion. This can reduce an angry expression. It is harder than just reducing the frown lines between the brows, so your local salon my not be the best place to try this. You want a skilled professional, who is versed in the more advanced techniques, and who will followup closely on what is working and not working for you.

Once a reliable treatment regime is established, there may be a way to change your expression more permanently with surgery. If this is the ultimate goal, you will want your Botox/Dysport professional to also be skilled in periorbital surgery. I would recommend seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic Surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Angry look

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best and only option for you is called the endoscopic brow lift. The endoscopic brow lift softens the expression and opens up the eyes.

The endoscopic brow lift is done with three tiny incision on the scalp and the resulting scars and minimal. They heal so good in most people that nobody notices.



Medial epicanthoplasty should be regarded as a high risk procedure.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Some surgeon believe that you don't have to make some one better, you needto make them different. From your photo, it is unclear that taking an inside fold to an outside fold will accomplish what you are looking to achieve. Using A Microdroplet Botox treatment will create lift along the brow and soften your angry expression.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.