Is an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist Qualified to Do Asian Bleph Surgery?

I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two are, but is either one worth trusting for plastic surgery or would it be smarter to just go to a plastic surgeon for Asian blepharoplasty?

Doctor Answers 4

Kentucky has just signed into law a bill that allows optometrists to do eyelid surgery!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I think what you are really asking is should you get asian eyelid surgery with an ophthalmologist or a plastic surgeon.  The answer really depends on the individual ophthalmologist or plastic surgeon and what further training they have had beyond their basic residency.  Generally speaking neither a general ophthalmologist or a general plastic surgeon would be a good choice for having an Asian eyelid surgeon.  What you need is a surgeon who specializes in Asian eyelid surgery.  Ophthalmologists with fellowship training in oculoplastic surgery are going to have the greatest depth of experience in eyelid surgery.  However there are general plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and even general ophthalmologist who can perform an Asian eyelid surgery.  However, what you really want is someone with more than a passing knowledge of the procedure.  You want an expert.  For that, you will need to do your homework.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Doctor for Asian Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An optometrist is not an MD and cannot perform surgery.  Ophthalmologists are eye surgeons and most do eyelid surgery but oculoplastic surgeons (surgeons who are board certified in ophthalmology and have done further fellowship training in oculoplastic surgery) are the ones who are specialists in eyelid surgery.  You should go to an oculoplastic, facial plastic, or general plastic surgeon who is familiar with Asian blepharoplasty.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian bleph is special

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It can be done by an experienced oculoplastic or general plastic surgeon, but not all eyelid surgeons have experience with Asian blepharoplasty. Make sure your doctor has experience and shows you pictures of patients like you whom he or she has operated on. Make sure there are a LOT of patients, not just a handful.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Edison Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Oriental eye lid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Optometrist can not do surgery, can examine your vision only.

Ophthalmic Plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon can do your surgery

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.