Should I Be Getting a Second Opinion??

I had my breast implants in on May 3rd. The Lt breast has not healed and I have gone back to my Dr. twice for her to cut off the tender flesh and re-stitch. Since my surgery I have had leakage oozing out, my dressings need to be changed twice a week. Only just recently did my Dr put me on my first dose of antibiotics. I finished last week and seems to have done nothing. I am going into 10 weeks since my surgery. I was wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion from even my family doctor.

Doctor Answers 5

Second opinion on surgical complications

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
So sorry to hear that you developed postoperative complications. Your posting does not clarify with much specificity the reason for these problems. First and foremost, have a sit down with your plastic surgeon and ask for explanations of your postoperative course and treatment plan. I would not seek advice from a family physician. If you aren't confident after speaking with your treating doctor, then seek a second opinion immediately because, as other posters have noted, an infection needs to be treated appropriately and expeditiously.

Ten week history of drainage and wound healing problems following a breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A ten week history of drainage and wound healing problems is extremely rare , concerning and indicative of a significant problem that needs to be addressed definitively. Depending on a few factors, you do run a substantial risk of needing to have your implant removed particularly if your situation is not addressed aggressively now. Your frustration and loss of some confidence in your surgeon is understandable.

My recommendation would be to immediately seek one or more opinions on your situation by reputable board certified plastic surgeons (and not your primary care doctor). You can then act on the recommendations that you feel to be most appropriate and sensible to you. DON'T WAIT.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Complication after augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should absolutely get another opinion: 10 weeks of drainage is unacceptable.  You clearly have an infection and need definitive care as soon as possible.  At this point it is likely that you will need to have the implant removed and start on antibiotics that target cultures taken during removal.  After 2-4 months a new implant can be replaced (assuming you have made an uneventful recovery).


Don't delay any further: the sooner you act the better your chances are for a good result down the road.

Second opinion after breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The short answer is yes, if you have lost faith in your surgeon and you are not healing as expected it is perfectly reasonable to see your primary care physician or another surgeon. At the worst they may discover the cause for your healing delay not appreciated by your surgeon, or at best may just be able to reassure that your surgeon is on the right track.

Best of luck,


Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Should I get a second opinion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is important that you have faith in your doctor in times like these. I am sorry that you are having problems and it is clearly a worrying time.  The fact that you are asking the question leads me to think that you may not be particularly happy with the way things are going and I have to say, I don't think that I would be particularly happy either if I was you.

Persistent oozing at this stage makes me worry that there may be an infection around the implant and this will not settle until the implant is removed.  Your family doctor may be able to recommend another plastic surgeon for a second opinion.  Sometimes it is easier for someone who is a bit further removed from the surgery to make these tough decisions.  I don't know what your relationship is like with you surgeon, but you could always ask him or her to recommend a colleague for a second opinion.  It is a difficult time and you may feel better being open about your concerns with your surgeon rather than seeking a second opinion without telling him or her.

I wish you all the best.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.