Open wound after BL and BA. Should I be worried? (Photo)

I had a mommy makeover with TT, BL and BA almost three weeks ago. This open wound started last week as small and has gotten bigger. Started antibiotic yesterday and seeing my ps tomorrow but I'm so worried. Is there anything I should put on it? Worried about implant exposure.

Open wound after lift and augmentation

Thank you for your photo. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this slow healing postop.  What you are seeing is not uncommon after breast reduction and lifts due to higher tension at the upside down "T" junction.  Local wound care will usually take care of this.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon closely and make sure you follow their instructions.  I suspect that you will heal uneventfully, although your scar may be wider in this location.  This is easily corrected in the office much farther down the road if it is a concern.  Good luck. 

Open wound after BL and BA. Should I be worried?

Thank you for the question and pictures. What you are experiencing can occur occasionally after breast augmentation/lifting surgery.  The delayed wound healing has to do with blood flow/tension in the area of the “T” junction. I think your surgeon is treating you correctly and I believe that you will be just fine after 2 to 3 weeks of healing. I would suggest continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  For real reassurance don't hesitate to express your questions and concerns. Best wishes.

Wound opening

Thank you for your picture. This is a typical woman opening after breast lift. This is readily resolved with local wound care and a small amount of debridement. Keep your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon and this issue should resolve.

Wound issues are not uncommon after a breast lift as part of a mommy makeover.

You certainly should be concerned about the open wound enough to manage it properly. Usually these close with proper one care.

Hi. I would not be too concerned at this point. You have had a bit of fat and skin necrosis which happens often after this surgery. It is not unusual specially in the area that it occurred. These wounds will heal by themselves with the appropriate treatment which you should discuss with your surgeon. It may take weeks but most if not all will heal.

If it continues to necrose ( or tissue dies) then the concern is about implant exposure. Relax and don't fret. Good luck

Open wound after breast lift and breast augmentation.

The inverted T intersection resulting from the breast lift component of your surgery is often the site of some degree of wound breakdown.  Most often this will heal as long as it is clean and infection is prevented.  It is very important that U

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Worried about BL and BA

• I understand your concern about your breast lift incision. 
  • Infections can occur in the weeks after surgery,
  • The photo suggests that going to your plastic surgeon is exactly the right thing to do,
  • This definitely needs treatment. Hope all goes well.

This is a complication of tension on the inverted T junction incisions. Local wound car should help this resolve. I recommend PRP infusion therapy for 2 to 3 sessions. The true urgency is implant exposure, which appears not to be present... 

Breast Lit with implants wound healing

It appears from the photos that you have a slight opening at the T junction of your wise mastopexy. You should see your surgeon for wound care to rule out an infection and ay exposure of your implants. This can usually  be treated with local wound care and possible small scar revision later.

Good luck

Care of an open wound after a lift and implants

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual to get some skin breakdown in that area after a lift or breast reduction as that area typically has the most tension and least blood supply. To avoid contamination of an underlying implant, surgeons typically place the incision for the implants away from this area.  Most important is to keep the area clean; listen to your surgeon regarding cleaning the area and change the dressing at least twice a day. It is generally better to use an open, absorbent gauze (e.g. Kerlix) rather than a non-stick telfa.
Notify your surgeon immediately if you get increasing pain, fevers or chills. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon