Open tummy tuck wound? (photo)

do I have dead skin? in how long will my wound close? its been 8weeks sinced it open. im currently 9 wks po. from tummytuck lipo on my flanks. when will the swollen go down? would I need a scar revision? I put hydrogen peroxide 2x a day to clean. should I do anything else to speed up the process?

Abdominal Wound After Tummy Tuck

I am sorry that you have been going through this scary process.  Looking down and seeing a big wound is not what you were expecting.  I know its already been 8 weeks, but it looks like it's healing well.  It will probably be another 4 to 6 weeks before its closed, so hang in there. I hope you have been following up with your plastic surgeon regularly. However, I would like to intervene by telling you that hydrogen peroxide is too strong for this wound.  All it needs is soothing, cleansing saline soaked sterile gauze, changed two to three times per day.  This will remove bacteria and accumulated dried secretions, and promote more rapid healing.  The closure of this wound will occur by two processes: contraction which will actually shrink the size of the wound to less than half, and 'epithelialization' which will resurface the outside of the wound with skin.

As long as the wound is open, you will have swelling and inflammation.  It will be another month or two after it heals before the swelling subsides.  Timing for any revision surgery is usually one year so that all the tissues have healed and softened.  In the mean time, it is important that you eat well by avoiding foods high in sugars and carbohydrates, and try to get as lean as possible. This will promote healing and decrease your risk of further complications later if a revision surgery is necessary.

Best of luck.

Open tummy tuck wound?

At this time there does not appear to be any dead skin or other non-viable tissue. Where the incision is open, there may have been dead skin that has been removed, or the incision may have opened up before it had a chance to heal. 

I would expect another month before this has closed. The swelling is probably lasting longer than it might have without this complication, but it will begin to settle once the wound has healed.

Expect to decide about a wound revision in 6 to 12 months. However disturbing this must look to you now, once healed this may not look different than the rest of the scars

Hang in there, all the best. 

Open wound after abdominoplasty

From the picture, your wound looks clean and there is no evidence of dead tissue. This wound will likely heal in 2 to 4 weeks. Due to the open wound, swelling will take longer to go down compare with an uncomplicated tummy tuck (regular 3 months before all swelling resolve). At this time, it is hard to say whether you will need a scar revision. You may heal in with minimal scarring. Good healthy diet and daily wound dressing changes will help the healing process. Good luck

Mytien Goldberg, MD, FACS

Open wound after tummy tuck

It does not look like you have any dead skin at the present time. There are several different ways to manage wounds so check in with your surgeon. Follow his/her directions.