I had juvederm voluma on March 13th. Went back 4 weeks later for another. It's June and I see no real changes! What can I do?

Amount of Voluma for Desired Degree of Correction

Thank you for your question.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Comparing before and after photographs can be very helpful to appreciate positive changes.  An in-person consultation allows for a discussion of your goals and expectations, and for your plastic surgeon to formulate a treatment plan to achieve those goals.  A treatment plan should include the recommended amounts of each product for full correction of age-related volume loss.  In general, the amount of Voluma required to achieve the desired degree of correction is determined on an individual basis and depends on the degree of age-related volume loss that is present.  If more volume loss is present, then more Voluma will be required for optimal results.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved with Voluma.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully address your concerns and discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes!

Not Seeing Change After Voluma HA Filler

It is unfortunate that you are not seeing results after your Voluma injectable treatments.  A 4 week period to reassess and retreat sounds reasonable.  What to do now?

We have found Juvaderm Voluma to be reliable in giving contour change to the cheeks, particularly over and around the cheek bone (malar and zygomatic bones).  You didn't mention how much Voulma was used each time.  In the studies by the manufacturer 4-6 syringes were used by many patients in order to obtain full correction.  It is more common to start with less than that, and build up to attractive results.  If your doctor only used one syringe each visit, it would not be unusual to need more. 

It may be helpful to re-evaluate with your physician.  Discuss their experience with the drug and with other patients like you.  Discuss your goals.  How much contour would you like to see?  How many areas should be treated?  Do you want a rapid correction or do you want results to gradually evolve?  Are you anticipating pure volume change?  Or were you hoping for vertical lifting akin to facelift results?  Volume change is easier to see in a more toned face than in one with a lot of sagging.  Are other techniques necessary?  An experienced board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to help you answer these questions. 

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma -- Results

Do you have before and after photos? You can always use more filler to get the volume you desire. I suggest returning to your injector and discussing your concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvederm Voluma injection

It is impossible to give you an accurate answer without seeing some photos. It is likely that you probably just need more filler. Voluma is a great product and in my experience and hands, I have had much success with it. Discuss you concerns with an experienced injector. 

Fillers

if you do not have the volume look you want, then you likely need more filler. I would have to review your results and your goals in person. Best of luck

Hello Sara1141,

Juvederm Voluma is great at adding volume.  You did not indicate where on your face you had it injected, but after two syringes you should be seeing a result.  Since you are not you should follow up wiht your injector.  Take a look at your before and after photos to assess if there is a change taking place.  You can always add more but a third syringe is a lot for any area.  If your injector is not a core aesthetic physican injector, I would recommend you consult with one before proceeding with a third syringe.  It is possible your lack of a result is from technique.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma But No Volume!

Without pre and post photos, it will be difficult to give you a personalized answer. How much Voluma was injected? Depending on the volume loss in your face, it may be as simple as you need more Voluma than either you or your doctor appreciated to get the result you want. Not everyone is the same - some people need more fillers than others. Sometimes people get accustomed to it quickly and unless they compare their current appearance to pre-injection photos, they can't appreciate the difference. Always better to add on, then to have too much injected and have to dissolve it or wait it out!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Juvederm voluma

Your question is most difficult to answer without additional information - what are you trying to achieve specifically? are there any subtle changes on your before and after pictures? did you have enough volume injected to do the job? is there another alternative to reach your goals for your appearance? Perhaps you could followup with your doctor to discuss options...

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon